VLC 3.0-RC3 Released With Hardware Decoding That Works On All Platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    does mpv have any popularity on Windows?
    These days even Windows 10's media player supports many common file types out of the box, incl. Matroska-Containers and AC3 as well as Opus audio. It even supports niche formats such as SubStation Alpha subtitles (MS seems to have Anime pirates as a target demographic). MS themselves provide https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...dp8vcmhs?rtc=1 for the remaining formats. On top of that the Windows Store version of VLC does not even have playlist support, "Windows Movies & TV" does. Therefore investing so much development time into the two VLC Windows versions (UWP and Qt) does not make sense.

VideoLAN keep begging for donations on their homepage but I don't see any incentive why Linux users should donate. VideoLAN pander to Windows users and leave us Linux users in the cold. Over the course of time Canonical announced Mir, ditched Mir, and made a complete migration to Wayland, VLC only achieved "experimental" Wayland support…

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    Stable Wayland support? Last I tried mpv about 2 weeks ago, it had no client-side decorations (no way to control the window), and I recall seeing some bug report that basically said too bad and wait for Wayland devs to "fix" it.
    I don't know which version you tried, I'm on 0.27 because 0.28 didn't make it into the repos, yet, but here on Gnome 3.26 vanilla MPV as well as Gnome MPV work just fine, incl. CCDs.
    Last edited by Awesomeness; 26 December 2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

afair PRs for client side decorations would be accepted, apparently you can find CSDs a stupid concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        I don't know which version you tried, I'm on 0.27 because 0.28 didn't make it into the repos, yet, but here on Gnome 3.26 vanilla MPV as well as Gnome MPV work just fine, incl. CCDs.
        Are you sure your vanilla mpv was actually using Wayland natively and not running through xwayland? Because Espionage724 is right, you won't get client-side decorations with mpv. The devs don't want to link to a big toolkit just to draw window borders (a decision I fully agree with, btw). What mpv does support is the KDE server-side decoration protocol, but I'm not aware of a Gnome release which supports that (it's in git though, I think).

Comment

VLC 3 just hit the Debian testing repos. Seems not much different from V2.x except that sounds lags for several seconds when I change position in a movie. Seems like fun :/

For me VLC is the default video player , but I see that I use mpv more and more. Mostly because the easy gamma adjustments hotkeys. VLC does not even in v3 have hotkeys for gamma adjustments or an option to do that by configuring the interface. This is something I find very weird. Are everyone happy with their video brightness except me?! I still run on a 19" CRT as a primary monitor and LCD's are usually a bit brighter and usually displays black as fifty sha.... some shade of grey ... anyway looking forward to V3.1 if there will be such a thing!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
            I just wish VLC would bring back the ability to play MIDI files. Now I need a separate player for that
            Is there no support for MIDI? I have VLC installed on Manjaro via the Arch Linux User Repository (AUR), specifically from https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vlc-git

At the time of this post, that is compiled from the latest source code of VLC (hosted at https://github.com/videolan/vlc.git ). You can see the flags it is compiled with in the PKGBUILD. It supports playing MIDI files once you've defined the soundfont in Tools -> Preferences -> All -> Input/Codecs -> Audio Codecs -> Fluidsynth

Fluidsynth support is something that can be disabled at compilation. Maybe your distro is disabling it? (Manjaro also seems to be disabling it in their vlc and vlc-nightly packages).

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              Are you sure your vanilla mpv was actually using Wayland natively and not running through xwayland?
              You're right, I only looked at vanilla MPV for a few seconds because I usually Gnome MPV because I'm not a masochist and Gnome MPV runs fully natively under Wayland: https://imgur.com/1chQpDb Vanilla MPV uses X11 here.

Comment

I just use VLC for its complete UI, MPV and GNOME MPV have very basic and incomplete UI. I found MPV plays videos very smooth, special on seek, its frame-to-frame feature also works very smooth, while on VLC it always will hang!

VLC is also a bloatware! and its UI is really ugly and out dated, all MPV front-ends like GNOME MPV have good and modern UI.

I will switch to GNOME-MPV if it comes more complete.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

I see it. It's here.

I just wish VLC would bring back the ability to play MIDI files. Now I need a separate player for that

I know MIDI might not be that popular, but the ability to have the entire 2h32m FFVII soundtrack take up only 1.44MB of space is amazing. Sure, you need a good soundfont, but once you have the soundfont, you can play all your midi files. You could stream your music all day and it would take maybe 10MB of consumed bandwidth.
                  yeah i eventually found it thanks

Comment

i now see a RC5 https://nightlies.videolan.org/build...223-rc5.tar.xz
                    Last edited by Anvil; 29 December 2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X