LibreOffice Calc Is Finally Being Threaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dante View Post
    just hope they also remove all java code from Libreoffice, this will also help make things faster
    Everything except Base is Java free with exception to some extensions. No performance critical part uses Java. In 6.0 there will be an experimental non-linear solver available (written by me) out-of-the-box, that was previously available only as a Java extension.
    Last edited by quikee; 22 November 2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

About damn time. I could've used this years ago.

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
      Only Calc? I find LibreOffice to be slow when moving around large shapes or photos, or when you have a lot of them in a presentation file. I wonder if that's due to a lack of multithreading...
      I think that's more related to GPU acceleration rather than multi-threading.

Comment

Only Calc? I find LibreOffice to be slow when moving around large shapes or photos, or when you have a lot of them in a presentation file. I wonder if that's due to a lack of multithreading...
        There used to be huge performance problems on files that contained a lot of objects (images etc.); these were mostly solved in version 4.4 (it went from unusable to barely laggy on some imported PDF files I used) and later, but the program could use some further improvements indeed.
        I did find that using the 64-bit build improved things a lot when compared with the 32-bit version (whether on Windows or Linux); if you've been using it for a while, cleaning up all local settings and/or increasing object memory cache can also help.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
          if you've been using it for a while, cleaning up all local settings and/or increasing object memory cache can also help.
          What values are you using or would you recommend? I have 16 GB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by dante View Post
            just hope they also remove all java code from Libreoffice, this will also help make things faster
            And rewrite that code in Rust. <<Triggered!...>>

Comment

On windows I noticed a big regression from (IIRC) 5.2.x. I hope that the root cause is this bug

which will be fixed in the 5.4.4

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Since I updated to version 5.4.3.2, it's almost impossible to use calc, it is hanging when I do simple operations with csv files, like selecting 3 columns do delete them on 100k lines files, which I could do easily on ~500k lines files before
                I'll bite: bug report?

Comment

This is good news, I use this software heavily and I have a 8 core Ryzen, make those spreadsheets fast again!

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                    I'm not up to par with how and why they implemented OpenCL first but given my experience with GPGPU I find that curious. OpenCL should be harder to implement than regular multi-threading, specially if using OpenMP. I don't know why they chose to go with OpenCL first.
                    Interesting question which i dont have an answer for. Generally you dont think of Opencl as accelerating the types of calculations done in a spread sheet. Maybe it was a specific case.

In any event will we now be seeing parallism bugs in user spreadsheets. Considering the types of people coding spreadsheets im not sure this is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

And rewrite that code in Rust. <<Triggered!...>>
                      Or Swift!! Either way modern languages would do the open source world a lot of good. We might even see relatively bug free software.

Comment

Working...
                      X