Better Half-Tiling Support Lands For Mutter 3.26.1 & GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    You can already do this and more using extensions.
    Can you give me a hint which ones to use, so that I can give it a try without having to search for hours?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Can you give me a hint which ones to use, so that I can give it a try without having to search for hours?
      The one I'm using is ShellTile. It allows you to tile windows using the mouse (while holding Super). It allows you to tile many windows, i.e. not limited to 2, and you can tile vertically or horizontally, and it allows you to freely change the percentage between the windows. The nice thing about it is that once you tile windows they become like one unit, so in the activities view they will appear as one window and if the group is in the background and you switch to one of the windows of the group the entire group comes to the forground. The main drawback is that you cannot tile windows using the keyboard like you do in a real tiling window manager.

The other one I have found to be good is Gnomesome and that one acts like a true tiling manager. It gives you a keyboard shortcut to switch between two different modes, normal, and tiling. Once you switch to tiling, all windows on a monitor are automatically tiled and all new windows you open gets automatically tiled as well. It also works with multiple monitors, so you can have one monitor in tiling mode and the other in normal mode. It works great for those who are used to tiling window managers, but in my case I found it hard to have all the windows tiled and I usually prefer to have certain windows tiled together which is why I preferred ShellTile.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Simple: I have three monitors at work, and switching one of them to a different desktop doesn't mean I want to switch all of them to that desktop. Tiling WM developers seem to understand that, but sadly, that is the default behavior for Gnome/KDE.
        Oh, I misunderstood then. Yeah you're looking for the opposite of what i though. And I agree. I don't like LXDE for this same reason, I think i'll be back to DWM.

Comment

sarmad Thanks, I will give those extensions a try when I have the time, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X