Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Rolls Out A Preview Of The New Skype For Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Rolls Out A Preview Of The New Skype For Linux

Adding to the list of Microsoft's Linux actions in 2017 comes a new preview version of the "next-generation" Skype for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point I don't really understand why anyone (other than businesses) installs Skype anymore, even on Windows. web.skype.com is clean, fast, and intuitive, and from what I can tell it seems like this is basically just that except stored locally.

Comment

x86_64-only I presume?

Comment

Are we talking about the same Skype that asks you to log in every time you launch the app? 'Cause that really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          At this point I don't really understand why anyone (other than businesses) installs Skype anymore, even on Windows. web.skype.com is clean, fast, and intuitive, and from what I can tell it seems like this is basically just that except stored locally.
          I also use web.skype here, on Linux, and it does serves it's purpose well enough.

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
          Are we talking about the same Skype that asks you to log in every time you launch the app? 'Cause that really sucks.
          Oh and (on web.skype) there is no need to keep logging in - maybe it serves your needs...

Comment

Working great lately on my Debian testing. With some people using older Skype for linux releases (in Ubuntu) it doesn't work though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              To add insult to injury, "Skype for Linux" is really just web Skype packaged as a desktop application. Featuring the same horrible interface that wastes screen estate in your contact list without any way (that I know of) of grouping contacts or bookmarking group chats as you can do using the old Skype application.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                To add insult to injury, "Skype for Linux" is really just web Skype packaged as a desktop application. Featuring the same horrible interface that wastes screen estate in your contact list without any way (that I know of) of grouping contacts or bookmarking group chats as you can do using the old Skype application.
                That's what I meant by "it seems like this is basically just that except stored locally" except I did a terrible job implying that.

Though personally, I don't mind the contact list being always visible and on the side. People don't like reading really wide rows of text, and that helps reduce the width. But otherwise, web.skype.com does waste a lot of space in other ways, and things like grouping and bookmarking would be nice.

Comment

Infuriating redirect on that Skype blog link sends me directly to the Microsoft French Canadian homepage, I'm in Ontario!

Update: Looks like it's redirecting to the homepage from everywhere though.

Comment

Skype for Business on Linux I would much prefer so I can integrate my work and still use a hosted PBX.

Comment

Working...
                    X