Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.11 Rolls Into Beta With New System Settings, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i for one am thanksfully for all these kde devs still working and improving it all the time. im glad to be able to use the fruit of their hard work

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Window positioning is up to the compositor. If windows positions aren't remembered that is the compositor's fault.
      Of course it's up to the compositor but there is no standard protocol for remembering initial window placement.

Comment

As a NVIDIA user I understand Wayland on KDE will be difficult. Are there any plans to support this by not depending on Nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Can't you read the announcement yourself? That question is addressed there.
          There is nothing in the announce itself about Wayland being ready for prime time or not.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Still no privacy settings?
            Come on guys, it's 2017 and this is more important to have than ever.
            Even web browsers have permissions control for webcam and mike access.
            Disappointing!

Comment

Well it is not like you would install a lot of applications collecting private information on KDE that you have to restrict :-) It is not Google Play with mostly proprietary apps. Privacy is a common goal of KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by archie2016 View Post
                As a NVIDIA user I understand Wayland on KDE will be difficult. Are there any plans to support this by not depending on Nouveau?
                last i heard they won't budge to NVs "we don't care about standards and want all others to obey our rules", which is the right thing to do imho. Sucks for NV-owners, but NV has never been to keen on caring for the feelings of their customers

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Still no privacy settings?
                  Come on guys, it's 2017 and this is more important to have than ever.
                  Even web browsers have permissions control for webcam and mike access.
                  Disappointing!
                  KDE does not spy on you. Implementing privacy settings would be useless for two reasons:
                  - AFAIK neither USB nor PCI(e) devices can be restricted to certain applications, you can just disable them for the whole system. Therefore such settings would not be a barrier for malicious applications, just "recommendations" for nice applications on how to please the user.
                  - Widespread multi-platform applications from big companies like Chrome/Chromium or Steam would never respect some non-standard practices of one or two desktop environments with a share of 0-3% of the applications' user base (non-standard in respect to dominant operating systems, of course...).

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

last i heard they won't budge to NVs "we don't care about standards and want all others to obey our rules", which is the right thing to do imho. Sucks for NV-owners, but NV has never been to keen on caring for the feelings of their customers
                    Last I heard, they were planning to work with the Wayland dev community to develop a successor GBM and EGLStreams to satisfy both parties, similar to how D-Bus is a successor to both KDE 3's DCOP and GNOME 2.x's use of CORBA.

Did that never get off the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Last I heard, they were planning to work with the Wayland dev community to develop a successor GBM and EGLStreams to satisfy both parties, similar to how D-Bus is a successor to both KDE 3's DCOP and GNOME 2.x's use of CORBA.

Did that never get off the ground?
                      I haven't heard anything about a third alternative. Why would they waste time developing a third alternative, when supporting it would be more work than supporting GBM?

Comment

Working...
                      X