Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.26: Wayland vs. X.Org Performance - Boot Times, Power Use, Memory Use & Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    My brief experience with Wayland, although on Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 with gnome-shell 3.24:
    - Wayland has increased input-lag, very obvious during mouse movements
    - Sometimes the mouse pointer freezes, or doesn't follow the mouse movements for a second or so
    - Looks like I'm getting only 60 frames per second despite running my monitor at 120hz, judging by how the mouse pointer moves
    See https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032.

Comment

Video playback on Nouveau is atrocious, I have also noticed the mouse input lag and it is definitely not ready to replace X.org.

Comment

Window positioning is not what you expect on Wayland.
        Very annoying, then you have to move them around, and next time they open up again in weird positions.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high

I've noticed the input lag as well, that's probably my biggest issue.

In regards to the refresh rate, have you set the rate in Settings > Devices > Display? Screenshot here: https://i.imgur.com/Q4WQjsi.png
          Yep, except I obviously have the old style settings menu becouse I'm just at GNOME 3.24. The monitor really is set to 120hz which I can confirm by checking the monitor OSD. I suspect it's just the mouse pointer which isn't refreshing fast enough which makes it feel as if the monitor was set to 60hz, even though it isn't.

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
          I am aware of this bug report. I assume it's not yet fixed and hope that it will be fixed before Ubuntu 18.04.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            The numbers don't convince.

There, I've said it. Now flame me.
            I don't get why so many people on here feel the need to act so childish...

Flame? Why would you be flamed? I'm really curious in what context the numbers don't convince. In relation to what, exactly?

To me performance parity and a slight improvement is all I'd expect on that front. Reduction of overhead is never going to make a large difference. That's hardly the point of Wayland anyway, it's just a nice side-effect of a fresh, modern, codebase.

What doesn't convince me is how it's clearly not ready for daily use in general. I'd get by if I didn't have X and would probably be fine with it, but in the context of X existing there's no point in using Wayland.

How about lay off the stupid, low-effort, drive-by posts meant only to incite and troll?
            It's honestly kinda pathetic. See how easy it was to make a somewhat useful post? You can do it too!
            Last edited by hrkristian; 11 September 2017, 01:11 PM. Reason: reasons

Comment

Running Fedora 27 with Wayland and it's pretty solid. When playing games, I sometimes switch to Xorg for better performance (I notice a big difference in SC2 on wine).
              As of compatibility, it became very rare to me to see something work under X and not under Wayland. So pretty good.
              But as of stability, I think it's still necessary to find a way to let gnome-shell crash without losing the whole session. It doesn't happen very often, but still too often (compared to MacOS/Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                The numbers don't convince.
                There, I've said it. Now flame me.
                Does that mean that you don't believe the numbers?
                Or maybe that you'd only be satisfied with better results?
                Both of the above?
                Something else entirely?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Window positioning is not what you expect on Wayland.
                  Very annoying, then you have to move them around, and next time they open up again in weird positions.
                  That does seem anoying... (never tested wayland)
                  Hopefully with Ubuntu coming out with wayland by default, it will speed up the bug squashing rate and those kind of issues get sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                    ... Flame? Why would you be flamed? ...
                    People give a lot of credit to Wayland for its goal of cleaning up with X11 and it's ageing API. They put a lot of their hopes into it. When you then don't share these hopes then you're starting to make enemies.

I still don't believe in Wayland. It's goal is good, but it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to account for the cost it takes to implement it and to support it along with X11. If it's in the end only marginally faster, while you also lose such abilities as network-transparent rendering, then it's really more of a loss for the end users. The gain will then only exist for the developers, and only after it outweights the extra cost for it's development. By that time can one also have made improvements to X11. That's why I'm saying that I'm not convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

I don't get why so many people on here feel the need to act so childish...

Flame? Why would you be flamed? I'm really curious in what context the numbers don't convince. In relation to what, exactly?

To me performance parity and a slight improvement is all I'd expect on that front. Reduction of overhead is never going to make a large difference. That's hardly the point of Wayland anyway, it's just a nice side-effect of a fresh, modern, codebase.

What doesn't convince me is how it's clearly not ready for daily use in general. I'd get by if I didn't have X and would probably be fine with it, but in the context of X existing there's no point in using Wayland.

How about lay off the stupid, low-effort, drive-by posts meant only to incite and troll?
                      It's honestly kinda pathetic. See how easy it was to make a somewhat useful post? You can do it too!
                      You are very useless and don't matter.

This much is obvious.

Comment

Working...
                      X