Mozilla Firefox Finally Fixes An Awkward, 11 Year Old Linux Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael
    many have found it to be incredibly awkward accidentally opening a new tab with some web-page based upon what's in your copy-paste clipboard.
    It was worst than that: it replaced without any warning and immediately the current page by some web-page based upon what's in your copy-paste clipboard, leading to data loss when you were typing stuff in some form, or having heavy web app (gmail, facebook…) closed just because you tried to middle-click a link to open it as tab but missed the link and clicked slightly near it.

I expect the middle-click pasting on url bar (and waiting for confirmation to load it), not pasting in the whole window area and loading without confirmation… 11 years to fix that… Wow!

Comment

So that's how that happens...

Comment

Coming from Opera 12 (aka the Real Opera) I expected to open a url with pasting by middle click (I loved this function in Opera, as well as lots of other things Opera had), but this never worked outside Opera. I got no idea how anyone could be confused... Middle click on a link, opened the link, select text of url (and open a new tab) and middle click opens the url. Very good usability.

I miss Opera :-(.

Comment

Thanks. Now please fix the bug that single clicking into the search field on firefox does not select the content

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I use it in the terminal, but not really anywhere else.
            Sounds counter intuitive. You let go of the keyboard, reach for the mouse, and click, instead of shift+insert?

Comment

Chromium is all I use these days. After the Mozilla CEO was discriminated against, and then fired, I won't use Mozilla products again.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                After the Mozilla CEO was discriminated against, and then fired
                You have that backwards. *He* was the one doing the discrimination. He backed a law that was later deemed unconstitutional and so repealed. Because it was discriminating.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Chromium is all I use these days. After the Mozilla CEO was discriminated against, and then fired, I won't use Mozilla products again.
                  And the recent Google scandal wouldn't apply here too? Maybe you should use Vivaldi as it is too young to had done any social justice error...

Comment

Actually, I was a heavy user of this feature back when I was using Firefox. It was really speeding up my workflow. This feature was especially important when I encountered webpage with non-clickable links – like text file or botched comments window. It was double-click to select an URL and middle-click to open it. Today, with right-click → navigate to URL it's less important.
                    I've argued for Chrome to implement this behaviour and Chrome did in neutered way – you have to middle-click on New Tab button. Much smaller click target, but still there if you need it.

Comment

Whaaat? An 11 yo bug got fixed?
                      And what about a 19 yo bug in Firefox dating back to the glorious Netscape days?
                      And it is affecting all opensource browsers, not just Firefox!

Go and see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=915

Comment

Working...
                      X