No announcement yet.

GNOME Turns 20 Years Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote: > We want to develop a free and complete set of user friendly > applications and desktop tools, similar to CDE and KDE but based > entirely on free software: IMHO this is a knee-jerk reaction to a nonexistent problem. Best of luck doing this with GTK... it has a long ways to catch up with Qt. -Dan
    Priceless

Comment

Nice to see Phoronix is engaged in the act of censoring people.

I will be browsing this website with adblock and end my subscription.

I will tell everyone else to do the same.

Shame on you, Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
        Nice to see Phoronix is engaged in the act of censoring people.

I will be browsing this website with adblock and end my subscription.

I will tell everyone else to do the same.

Shame on you, Phoronix.
        There is no censoring at all of people....
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
          20 years being the best DE. Thanks, GNOME! <3
          I love Gnome, but nobody can say it's been the best DE for twenty years. The initial release was 18 years ago. But it still took quite some time before it became a really good DE. It started to come along in 2002-2003 or somewhere around then. Before then, you really had to want it in order to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            Nice to see Phoronix is engaged in the act of censoring people. I will be browsing this website with adblock and end my subscription. I will tell everyone else to do the same. Shame on you, Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
              I don't know in which cramped universe you live in, but GNOME 3 is very usable and user friendly. It doesn't need to follow the Windows paradigm, I even find their Shell concept to be just plain better.
              Disagree wholeheartedly. GNOME 3 is clunky and obtuse, completely unusable for day to day productivity work. They've slowly managed to work through their immense bug backlog, but their UI design remains fundamentally flawed and painful to use. I won't even *consider* a distro unless it offers a MATE desktop spin.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                Gnome 3 was a mistake, and way too many applications still use outdated gtk2... after like 10 years? (gimp) ... and here we are. Windows 10 has the best UI toolkit available, with most options, perfect DPI scaling , and free software counterparts are no competition.
                Windows 10 toolkit is a mess. Qt is far better. When Gnome starts working with Wayland without problems, get rid of memory leaks and mutter performance problems it will become very good DE. Much better than Windows 10 ever was.
                Last edited by Guest; 16 August 2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Finally something major in Linux world that isn't older than me.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                    Gnome 3 was a mistake,
                    Imo Gnome 3 was not a mistake. It was rather a deliberate strategy from Red Hat to sink Canonical which was taking control of Linux Desktop and starting to become a serious menace on the server side. The design decisions made by Gnome developers made no sense no matter how you look at them. Red Hat doesn't care about desktop, but Canonical at the time still did. By doing that they forced Canonical to develop their own DE. The same went with systemd , by making Gnome depending on it (which is an extremely bad decision no matter how you look at it, considering the Linux ecosystem) to force all the distributions to use it.

Canonical didn't took Unity's road because it wanted, but because it realized what was happening and was forced it to do that.
                    Now I get somebody will jump advocating Gnome is perfectly usable for desktop blah blah blah.. but the thing is: objectively it wasn't just Canonical who thought Gnome 3 was unusable on desktop. Linux Mint developer thought the same and so all the other developers who customized and forked Gnome 3 (Mate, Budgie, Elementary OS etc etc).
                    Of course there's always been people who preferred other DE. But with Gnome 2 nobody using that DE felt that its was so unusable to require a fork of it. Look at how many fork we have.

Of course Canonical responded with the wrong strategy, to Red Hat attack.
                    And btw, I'm on Arch, and I couldn't care less about Canonical.
                    Last edited by sonnet; 20 August 2017, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      Disagree wholeheartedly. GNOME 3 is clunky and obtuse, completely unusable for day to day productivity work. They've slowly managed to work through their immense bug backlog, but their UI design remains fundamentally flawed and painful to use. I won't even *consider* a distro unless it offers a MATE desktop spin.
                      Seriously, maybe you just refuse anything but a standard desktop paradigm, but GNOME 3 is easy to use, easy to learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X