Chrome/Chromium Turns On Support For OpenType Variable Fonts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

X11 certainly did support printing at some point, so there goes your point … Also, I would argue that anything related to input into applications is the display server's job.
    How new are you to this? You do not get to tell Gnome or Wayland what they need to do. It works the other way around, because it's "clean".

Comment

X11 certainly did support printing at some point, so there goes your point…
      That is what started the wayland project in the first place. On top be being really, really old, X11 has made a ton of assumptions over the years. Not all of them was wise nor panned out. The fact that X11 had old code for a print server while being a display server is rather good lesson. Wayland handles displays, and ONLY displays, and is slowly getting much better at it.
      Let CUPS or something else handle printing, it's not Wayland business to handle that since it is well out of scope of what it does. Unix/Linux is really good as KISS, let Wayland be relatively simple and targeted to displays than trying to be the kitchen sink for a computer.
      Also, I would argue that anything related to input into applications is the display server's job.
      LibInput exists and keeps input off of wayland. It's much better this way.

Comment

X11 certainly did support printing at some point, so there goes your point … Also, I would argue that anything related to input into applications is the display server's job.
        Yes, X11 supported printing. Now we are getting rid of X11 because it is overly complicated and does way too many things in favor of Wayland which is much simpler.
        Else we could just continue use X11 but we want Wayland because it is not X11, is is simpler.

X11 also supported other stuff like drawing primitives, fonts, etc. Wayland just provides a graphics buffer.

Comment

To be honest I don't know low-level Wayland details, so I can't say was it worth or not including clipboard in there. I recall seeing somewhere an idea to implement clipboard with dbus instead, which would be the external protocol you folks talking about. Either way, it's all in Wayland now, one clipboard in the main protocol, and the other in extensions.

Comment

It's nice they are working on the font support but perhaps they can fix the font hinting on Windows again instead of adding new features all the time since half of he fonts on my screen look like they escaped from the 80's while the other half looks fine...

Comment

Originally posted by cyberwizzard View Post
              It's nice they are working on the font support but perhaps they can fix the font hinting on Windows again instead of adding new features all the time since half of he fonts on my screen look like they escaped from the 80's while the other half looks fine...
              Not sure what it looks like but a wild guess: it might have something to do with fonts installed in the system (e.g. lack thereof) or default fonts. On Archlinux looks okay as far as I've seen, but I do have crazy amount of fonts in the system.

Comment

Working...
              X