Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Settings Continues Looking Better With Its New WiFi Panel

Phoronix: GNOME Settings Continues Looking Better With Its New WiFi Panel

Georges Stavracas' latest work on GNOME is the new WiFi panel for the GNOME Settings area...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really see little difference between the new Wifi Module and the old Network Wifi screen -- they're nearly identical.

The whole idea that "Wifi" is now a parent item and "Network" means "Wired" just blows me mind with confusion.

Either Wifi needs to be re-merged under Network or Network needs to take a new name which is more specific to the category it represents.

As far as I know the control center was supposed to be available as binary /usr/bin/gnome-control-center-alt (not sure if its bundled in 3.25 or not I don't recall it being available in 3.24 on arch.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      The whole idea that "Wifi" is now a parent item and "Network" means "Wired" just blows me mind with confusion.
      Stop being intelligent and knowledgeable about IT. GNOME is for the masses.

Many less-than-IT-savyy users don't know how to call the ethernet cable, or what a "network" is, but wifi is a name widespread enough to be recognizable (and abused. For example, "wireless keyboards" become "wifi keyboards", and bluetooth too becomes "wifi").

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Many less-than-IT-savyy users don't know how to call the ethernet cable, or what a "network" is, but wifi is a name widespread enough to be recognizable (and abused. For example, "wireless keyboards" become "wifi keyboards", and bluetooth too becomes "wifi").
        You made me think of this:

With the way Technology has gone we're going to have BIG problems in the future when no one is capable of learning how to fix things and why things are the way they are.

Of course your analysis is a accurate appraisal of the epidemic we're facing, I mean I don't expect people to learn w3m, elinks, htop, iotop etc... to use a computer but I expect at least a minimum intelligence - knowing what a web browser is, knowing internet can be wireless or wired, Installing / Uninstalling Apps, etc..

On Android and iOS platforms "Wifi" is a main module because there is no Ethernet port on an iPad/Galaxy Tab, this design decision follows suit too closely ignoring the design principles and follows the design itself instead which just makes it a knockoff imitation and not freshly baked from a recipe.

So for me the aim is in the right general direction but the execution wrong :\ I jumped in on the blog, hopefully my ideas & council has a positive effect -- in the last year I have generally considered Gnome to be pretty useful and functional middle ground wretaining enough complexity and simplicity to get out of my way so I can get work done.
        Last edited by ElectricPrism; 19 July 2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

With the way Technology has gone we're going to have BIG problems in the future when no one is capable of learning how to fix things and why things are the way they are.
          Technicians exist and will keep existing, also engineers will keep existing.
          Besides, in many cases we are already at this point anyway, where troubleshooting an issue is basically impossible or waaay too long to be worth it due to simple lack of documentation (proprietary stuff), and techs simply swap the whole electronic board, or screen or whatever.

Of course your analysis is a accurate appraisal of the epidemic we're facing, I mean I don't expect people to learn w3m, elinks, htop, iotop etc... to use a computer but I expect at least a minimum intelligence - knowing what a web browser is, knowing internet can be wireless or wired, Installing / Uninstalling Apps, etc..
          Heh, I tend to disagree. I've been there when computers were break-prone pieces of shit running DUMB(tm) software, and while the quality has certainly improved, the general paradigm did not.

Safe operation of a PC (and troubleshooting issues) is still ridicolously complex for what it provides, and people should not have to learn how to care for, groom and feed their PC properly. It's not a pet goddamnit, it's a tool. It's a mean to an end, not the end itself.

Embedded OSes like Android and iOS got this right and are FAR FAR FAR easier to deal with for people that only need a tool to do X, and not a pet to care for.

On Android and iOS platforms "Wifi" is a main module because there is no Ethernet port on an iPad/Galaxy Tab, this design decision follows suit too closely ignoring the design principles and follows the design itself instead which just makes it a knockoff imitation and not freshly baked from a recipe.
          Technically speaking, on Android you have "Ethernet" menu if the device has eth ports (media center boxes for example).

That said, it's reasonable to assume that most users will use magical wifi networks instead of cables even on PCs (most people replacing aging desktops tends to get laptops, except those that actually need a desktop like say gamers, but that's a minority), and that the "network" menu is more like for advanced users.

IMHO it makes sense considering the target here. Mass market expects an easy to reach Wifi because that's what they use on their smartphones, so there they go.

Comment

yup, that is the attitude: arrogant, condescending, assuming others are stupid; and when the others start asking questions, pointing out problems, or even dare(!) to criticize then you start yelling at them that they are "haters" :-)

Comment

I really see little difference between the new Wifi Module and the old Network Wifi screen -- they're nearly identical.

Either Wifi needs to be re-merged under Network or Network needs to take a new name which is more specific to the category it represents.

As far as I know the control center was supposed to be available as binary /usr/bin/gnome-control-center-alt (not sure if its bundled in 3.25 or not I don't recall it being available in 3.24 on arch.
              You are arguing semantics, layout is good, and there's really nothing to complain about. Now if it's unfortunate name, I don't know, "wired" was always named "Network", for example in Windows it was "Local Area Connection" for every wired connection (I don't know how it is in Windows 10..., I'm talking about < Windows 8 versions), while Wi-Fi can be used as LAN, network =/= LAN, wired network is network, it could be LAN, but it can be simple connection to the cable modem, and that is also network, "wired" is just more precise naming. Good thing is, you can change the name to whatever suits you , and for "regular" users, maybe "network" is better naming, I don't know.

Comment

In that case, you need to urge Microsoft to change the name "LAN" in Windows to "Network". Oh wait, most people use Windows and are used to a name like "LAN" so in that, case, it makes sense for GNOME to do the same. After all, Windows is also for the masses.

Comment

Who don't use Gnome or Linux at all, but instead use Windows and Mac OS X, lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X