Chrome Enables Its GPU Scheduler By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Yes, it's a Chrome issue. The team even said on the Chromium bugtracker that they don't have a monitor to develop on. They only have 60Hz.

Poor, poor Google.
    Got a link to said bug?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Yes, it's a Chrome issue. The team even said on the Chromium bugtracker that they don't have a monitor to develop on. They only have 60Hz.

Poor, poor Google.
      Well, you don't need 120Hz on a development machine. In fact, the best monitors for development aren't 120Hz ones. But that's no excuse for not getting one for the QA team, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

Got a link to said bug?
        It's been years now. It was somewhere on the Chromium bug tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Well, you don't need 120Hz on a development machine. In fact, the best monitors for development aren't 120Hz ones. But that's no excuse for not getting one for the QA team, at least.
          I use a 120Hz IPS on my dev machine and it's pretty darn awesome. Very snappy UI and the input lag of 60Hz compositors (KWin, in my case) is reduced, making typing feel as instant as without compositing. Moving windows around on the desktop looks almost as clear as it did with my old CRT monitors. The blurry mess you get with 60Hz LCDs is greatly reduced.

It's one of those things where you had no idea how good it is until you get used to it. We all got used to 60Hz LCD blur when we first switched from CRT to LCD (we had no choice, really.) Switching to a 120Hz LCD brings back that CRT feel when it comes to on-screen motion.

Scrolling in Chrome though sticks out like a sore thumb when everything else is 120Hz. It's really bad, especially since Chrome on 120Hz is worse than on 60Hz. On 60Hz, you get a stable 60FPS, so scrolling and video is smooth. On 120Hz, it constantly jitters between 55FPS and 65FPS, producing lots of stutter.

Comment

Working...
          X