a proprietary software is a security mess

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post

sorry, I would said open source too
      Good thing you're not too demanding.

Comment

after dropping gtk2 and alsa support and implementing tons of never-used-than-removed "features" that makes it slower and slower, my only question is: what is the best alternative to firefox?

something with a rendering engine that receives security updates (not an old libwebkitgtk thing), lightweight and with javascript that can be disabled would be optimal to me
        any ideas?
        Microsoft Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Running a virtual machine and win10 is not very practical for using a browser.
          Still less ram usage than Chrome

/sarcasm

Comment

after dropping gtk2
            Just curious, why do you want gtk2 support???

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Maybe try a flatpak to see how it's working out?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134#c55
              Yeah, tried it. But flatpak's don't integrate well into your own environment.
              I'm also seeing flickering on the screen. Also I want it by default. No messing with flatpak's, compile yourself and whatnot.
              I also want to have hardware accelerated video decoding. That would enable me to watch youtube video's for longer on my laptop.
              Also the firefox wayland flatpak hung whilst writing this, so I had to finish it in my normal firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                Also I want it by default. I also want to have hardware accelerated video decoding.
                Some coffee with that? :P

More seriously, this is all work-in-progress. I want it too, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a lot of work and Mozilla doesn't (can't afford to?) consider its Linux variant a priority. This is why you see a Red Hat dev doing the big push for Wayland/CSD/GTK3 (last year), etc.
                Last edited by franglais125; 16 June 2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

sorry, I would said open source too
                  Try Otter (http://otter-browser.org/). It could do with some work to make it look a little nicer but otherwise it may be close to what you want.

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post

The user interface hangs were fixed for me with Firefox 54 with the multiprocess. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lity-reporter/ Will tell you if all your add-ons are compatable (if one isn't, multiprocess will be disabled). Once you disable the incompatble extension, firefox will need a restart to switch to multiprocess. about.config dom.ipc.processCount should show the number 4 if it is enabled.
                  Thanks! Thought I'd updated to 54.0 yesterday with a full -Syyu on the Manjaro unstable branch. Turns out Firefox 54 landed in the repo later that day so I missed out by a couple of hours. I'll update again and give it a try.
                  Last edited by ResponseWriter; 16 June 2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Some coffee with that? :P

More seriously, this is all work-in-progress. I want it too, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a lot of work and Mozilla doesn't (can't affort to?) consider its Linux variant a priority. This is why you see a Red Hat dev doing the big push for Wayland/CSD/GTK3 (last year), etc.
                    Yes, I like coffee. :-D I know that is work, but just like you I want it. Michael also has made lots of posts like "Mesa still is not opengl 4.5 conformant". I'm kinda disappointed that it's not a priority for the very well funded Mozilla Corporation.

Comment

While wayland support is not really there, I find Firefox for Linux support to be pretty good. Yes, there's no GTK2 and you have to use Pulseaudio - but the browser is fairly fast, doesn't use huge amount of ram or CPU while idling.

I recently switched to 2 Firefox profiles with Firefox Nightly instead of 1 Firefox Nightly + 1 Chromium because I eventually could not bear Chromium's consumption anymore on my laptop (reverting scaling changes, memory usage, cpu usage in the last release are really bad). It's been much better since I did that.

I suspect most people use Chromium because it's the cool thing to do. I don't care what brand or name my stuff is. I don't care if Firefox reputation isn't great if it also performs well.
                      I regularly switch and keep using whatever works best for me at that point in time - and right now while not perfect (nothing is), it's definitely Firefox.

Finally, while my desktop/wm of choice sux on Wayland anyway right now, I'm hoping Firefox for Wayland will be in a good shape by the time the Wayland desktop I want to use is also in a good shape. Or maybe Chromium will have fixed it's shit by then.

Comment

Working...
                      X