Cairo 1.15.6 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Cairo is often used together with Pango.
    It is too bad that Pango does not support color emoji.

On Windows 10 you have pretty colorful emoji, but on Linux the emojis are black/white.

πŸ˜’πŸ˜­πŸ˜ πŸ‘ΏπŸ™
    As I understand it Pango and Gtk are not the problem, Cairo hasn't landed support yet.

Comment

OMG. This thread makes me feel so old. Back in the days of 80x25 there were no such emojis. Maybe a smiley that was 2 or 3 bytes large and consisted of simple ASCII text characters. On screen everything was metrically compatible and we rarely had enconding errors. Programs were programs and not "apps" and most of them were written with saving resources in mind.

Emojis as fonts may lead to strange encodig problems, unless there is a strict standard they all keep to, maybe it's better to waste a few more bytes and have it as a bitmap (or embedded vector image).

> On Windows 10 you have pretty colorful emoji, but on Linux the emojis are black/white.

On Windows 10 you're locked down with digital restriction management, your privacy is below 0, your system, sometimes even firmware is updated and config rewritten without asking and soon you're to pay for every fart in a Windows 10 S store.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I see those as colour emoji on my Linux machine, you just need to have a colour emoji font installed. Google's is quite nice, I use Apple's because I have to know exactly what others are looking at.
        Yes, they show up as color emoji in Firefox (and maybe Chrome) I think if you have a color font installed.
        I installed Segoe UI which I copied from my Windows 10 installation so they show up as color in Firefox.
        However in Gtk application they show up as black/white even when using a color font such as Segoe UI because Gtk use Cairo which uses Pango and either Cairo or Pango doesn't support color fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Emojis as fonts may lead to strange encodig problems, unless there is a strict standard they all keep to, maybe it's better to waste a few more bytes and have it as a bitmap (or embedded vector image).
          It's called Unicode or ISO 10646

Comment

Comment

Emojis: Using pictographic languages like we're ancient Sumeria!

Comment

The primary purpose of emoji is that they count as one character on Twitter, and other small text size applications. English is actually very dense in terms of text size, Chinese can be denser but has at least 100x as many possible characters, but pictograms are often unbeatable for density and ease of reading.

(as for Windows, the only reason anyone uses Windows is some recent games don't run on Linux, primarily due to DRM. Two years ago a 100$ Windows license could be compared to the cost of a more powerful GPU to run the same stuff on Linux if it would even run)

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                  I have at least a few colored ones under linux:
                  You're seeing DejaVu's emoji, which are the same in bold, oblique, etc, so no change in style. Firefox choses to display its' own emoji only when no other font supplies a specific one. DejaVu ships with a few basic ones, that's why you're seeing some black and white ones. I removed them in my copy to see all emojis colored.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                    Emojis: Using pictographic languages like we're ancient Sumeria!

I always suspected that the glyphs of the egyptians, mayans, and aztecs were nothing more than emoji's left behind; while their printed materials had long turned to dust

Comment

Working...
                    X