Mozilla Firefox 54 Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You mean the guy that donated money to an organization whose main purpose is/was restricting people's freedom to marry the fuck they want because bullshit nonsense reasons?
    Yeah, well, if the guy did time for theft, hiring him would not imply your organization supports theft. Also firing him because of that would probably ended with a lawsuit. What he did was actually legal, yet firing him for it was ok. That'll teach people tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Firefox too is getting harder to keep secure and private. With any update to a new version you need to go back to the Mozilla website for the latest list of how to turn off automatic connections.
      Their moving in both directions. On the one hand, users want to watch e.g. Netflix with Firefox and if Mozilla didn't implement DRM they would loose those users and they also want a faster browsing experience, for which anticipating browser interaction is very helpful (network.predictor.*, network.http.speculative-parallel-limit) to shave off some of the otherwise network-bound latency. On the other hand, there's major effort in privacy protection and upstreaming improvements / features from the Tor Browser, such as the in-built tracking-protection, fingerprinting resistance (privacy.resistFingerprinting), first party isolation (privacy.firstparty.isolate) and container tabs (default: Personal, Work, Banking, Shopping).

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

I stopped using it years ago, partly because it had become bloated and slow compared with Chrome, but also because of their SJW infection and subsequent firing of a good CEO a few years back.
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        You mean the guy that donated money to an organization whose main purpose is/was restricting people's freedom to marry the fuck they want because bullshit nonsense reasons?
        Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, well, if the guy did time for theft, hiring him would not imply your organization supports theft. Also firing him because of that would probably ended with a lawsuit. What he did was actually legal, yet firing him for it was ok. That'll teach people tolerance.
        Originally posted by nll_a
        Tolerance does not mean keeping as head of the org fuckers who think they can forbid people from marrying the people they love. Whoever thinks otherwise, tell me: what about KKK members? What about wife beaters? What about religious fanatics?

The CEO is not some guy who comes out from the basement once in a while. I can see how firing this guy for being an asshat while he's doing a good job would be not so nice. But the CEO is the face of the organization, so s/he should represent its values, and Mozilla stands for freedom among other things. Homophobic creeps do not represent Mozilla.
        Please don't spread yet another erroneous right wing talking point.
        Brendan Eich was NOT fired, nor was he requested to resign. He decided to resign himself.
        Last edited by gbcox; 15 June 2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

SJW are idiots manipulated by the political establishment. Because mainstream politicians agree on important matters ("there is no alternative", from the Thatcher/Reagan days), blown up moral issues replace political debate and are used in an absurd and hypocritical way anyway : "Vote for me because I'm a nigger" (Obama), "Vote for me because I'm a woman" (Clinton), "Vote for me because abortion is murder" (W. Bush or whoever), "Let's kill a million Arabs to save them from their dictator" (everyone)

Comment

Come on, that's a technicality. It wasn't like he had any future left in Mozilla after that. He just chose the less shameful way to go before anyone else took action (as Mozilla obviously would eventually take).
            Facts are facts... that's what he said. He simply took responsibility for his actions; which is what everyone should do - and as you pointed out - he was the CEO; which means the buck stops with him. He was smart enough to know that his actions made it impossible for him to continue in that role. You can't be a leader if your subordinates have lost respect and view you as a bigot. No one forced him to donate to the Prop 8 campaign... that was his decision, just as it was his decision to resign. The media once again did bad reporting on this and twisted the facts to create a divisive controversy. As a CEO, he should have known better... he made a mistake, took responsibility and resigned.

And since were we are going down the rabbit hole a bit... people obviously have a right to support whatever they wish... but they need to realize they own it. If you're trying to influence an election by making contributions, that information is public. What was so hilarious about the Prop 8, etc. campaigns was the people supporting these campaigns tried to keep their activity secret. Oops... there was a SCOTUS case about this and they lost. A key quote in a concurring opinion:

“There are laws against threats and intimidation; and harsh criticism, short of unlawful action, is a price our people have traditionally been willing to pay for self-governance.... Requiring people to stand up in public for their political acts fosters civic courage, without which democracy is doomed.” Who wrote that: Justice Scalia. Translation: If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
            On April 3, 2014 Brendan Eich voluntarily stepped down as CEO of Mozilla. It has been well documented that Brendan’s past political donations led to boycotts, protests, and intense public ...
            Last edited by gbcox; 15 June 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

To get back on topic here seems there are quite a few positive stories in the press, and they captured Kasting's attention on G+ here:
              Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

As I mentioned in a previous post nit-picking about memory usage, performance doesn't mean alot to most people. They just won't notice. What I have observed however is that Fx 54 with e10s enabled is really quite good and Chrome to me definitely doesn't seem to be better performing. If anything, now Fx seems faster.
              Mozilla says its thrifty multi-process architecture delivers speed and stability without hogging memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                BTW, for a single browser you must decide whether you want it to be safe for credit cards, shopping, and banking or safe for your privacy. Because of the way phishing filters work, and the way in FF at least unknown websites are checked by contacting Google, you have to disable the phishing filter to keep Google from getting a good chunk of your surfing history. That makes the browser unsafe for banking and shopping. I don't bank or shop online at all, so this is not an issue for me.
                Actually, for both performance and privacy reasons, Firefox preloads the Safe Browsing database in large chunks, indexed by a 32-bit prefix of the SHA256 of the normalized URL (with query parameters stripped), and then does individual lookups locally.

It also does Safe Browsing queries using a separate cookie store (Google uses cookies for anti-abuse measures) and mixes some randomly-generated hash prefixes into the stream of queries to further render them useless for tracking.

Source: https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/...ks-in-firefox/

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has mentionned that version 54 is where ALSA support has been totally removed from Firefox. I have been using this browser for 10 years. They just lost me with this release. There is no way that I am going to install a piece of useless software (Pulse Audio) unless I have no other options.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                    I'm surprised that no one has mentionned that version 54 is where ALSA support has been totally removed from Firefox.
                    An obvious indication that it's a good thing to drop.

Comment

People are still bickering about PulseAudio in 2017? Wow.

I guess I'm seeing a Firevuanox on the horizon.
                      There is PaleMoon already for these types of people http://www.palemoon.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X