Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    These hibernate/sleep things do not work well with dual booting, so I'm happy to ignore them all. Of course, booting off SSD helps a bunch.

And just to rub it in debianxfce's face, I've used KDE with various effects turned on on a lousy Intel GMA 900 (or 950). Incidentally, on the same system I initially installed Xfce because I thought it couldn't handle anything more than that. But after a while curiosity kicked in.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    I think I've only encountered one windows computer where hybrid sleep actually worked properly. I've had to disable it on so many computers....
    Works on mine. It's reasonably nice in that machine will not get it undefined state if power is cut during sleep. For Windows this is a desktop only thing IOW only machines without batteries and fast hard disks anyway
    Last edited by nanonyme; 12 June 2017, 12:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ua=42
    replied
    I think I've only encountered one windows computer where hybrid sleep actually worked properly. I've had to disable it on so many computers....

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Meh, it's a "systemctl hybrid-sleep" away on most distributions, and has been available that way for a while

More important to me is, "is hibernating working 100% properly yet?". It has been a while since the last time I tried, and the experience hasn't been stellar so far.

Well, at least, I can now resume from sleep almost 90% of the time on my desktop (it has been a solid 100% on my laptop since ~2009, however, I'll grant you that) :P
    You know what? I do agree with you 100%. Same thing here. For the most part hibernation works, but way to often I am not able to restore properly. This on plain Debian without too many fancy things going on. And yes, I have made sure to disable zram when I used that (these days I only use zswap)

Leave a comment:

• sajmon5544
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    And by the way, is it still recommended to turn off swap on flash memory?
    I'm not sure what is recommended but Im using a little swap with low swapiness (google it), which makes linux rarely use swap, mostly when it's about to go out of memory. Seems like a reasonable solution to me, saves both SSD from extra writes and saves the system when needed.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    I wonder if modern SSD and eMMC is sustainable for hibernate and hybrid sleep? And by the way, is it still recommended to turn off swap on flash memory?

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Ah, the joys of suspending. I must admit I was a shutdown and power off correctly person long time, but I discovered that STR is a highly comfy thing on occasions. STD sounds reasonable, too, esp. when you're on low battery with a laptop.
    I have 2 machines where STR works usually fine but one other that sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes it doesn't wake up correctly... uuuh. I guess ACPI still is a pain (the ACPI tables on that machine were also not nice to decompile/recompile with iasl; more than 200 errors and I don't have enough knowledge to fix them).

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Well, at least, I can now resume from sleep almost 90% of the time on my desktop (it has been a solid 100% on my laptop since ~2009, however, I'll grant you that) :P
    For me it was a matter of not using Nvidia with closed source drivers. My laptop used to fail to resume ~30% of the times (plus all the proprietary annoyances). Since that horrible Nvidia experience, I only buy laptop/desktop hardware with open source support for graphics.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by jackflap View Post
    No, it's 2017 and Gnome still doesn't have it.. All this desktop fragmentation is so good for the Linux desktop, eh
    Yeah, because if everyone worked towards The One True Desktop everything would be surely better.

Hail Hydra!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Little typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    makes use of the Linux kerne's functionality to

Leave a comment:

Working...
X