Chrome 61 Progresses With WebUSB API & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
    Web only USB drivers. Imagine that you need to visit a webpage to be able to use a device I am sure this will come at some point or that at least somebody will try to do something like this.
    Ahem, sites can be saved for offline use too, or web drivers can be moved into a browser extension.

For example Outlook.com email offers the option to save itself and your email to work offline. See here https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-6856B4C27B36
    That's a true "web app", not just a mailbox web interface.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
      Browser should not "see" and have complete access and exclusive to a particular device, only the OS. The OS impose security policy and rules, access rights and so on, over all applications. Problems solved
      Part of the goal here is sidestepping such security policy and allow users to install web-based applications without being administrators.

I personally don't think it is that bad for the average windows user, the less stuff requires executing as administrator to install, the better.

Comment

Remember when X.org was basically an operating system? Remember how well that went? Maybe browser devs should look a bit at history...

Comment

WOW. I guess it is time to go back to text browsers. Though really, that has been true for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

I guess it's for cloud integration, there's no better explanation atm.
            I was more refering to drm and license protection of hardware. Usually you can always trick the computer to still run the driver, but if it's inside the cloud? tough luck and I am sure you can also do some nasty tricks with encryption stuff and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
              I was more refering to drm and license protection of hardware. Usually you can always trick the computer to still run the driver, but if it's inside the cloud? tough luck and I am sure you can also do some nasty tricks with encryption stuff and so on.
              The only way you can't hack it is if the actual driver is in the cloud and the javascript in the browser only provides a bridge for that.
              I'm pretty sure that hardware would run like total shit if the driver has average Internet latencies.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                The second you said, see ChromeOS.

This stuff appears to allow javascript-based drivers and applications to control USB devices, which should allow them to be multiplatform easily.

Considering how break-prone are native drivers and control applications for most such things, I'm not opposed to this.
                Ehem... Just what drivers for USB devices are you have an issue with breaking? This isn't the 90s this is absolutely not a problem anymore. Other buses have some issues particularly PCI/PCIe soundcards... but USB drivers are rock solid.

Comment

Part of the goal here is sidestepping such security policy and allow users to install web-based applications without being administrators.

I personally don't think it is that bad for the average windows user, the less stuff requires executing as administrator to install, the better.
                  You do realize this begs for a fappening sequel, because someone's photos on a USB stick left connected is going to end up all over the place. Fast.
                  The only way this is going to work is if the browser asks permission to access each an every USB device, before doing so.

Still, I yearn for the days when a web browser was for browsing the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Remember when X.org was basically an operating system? Remember how well that went? Maybe browser devs should look a bit at history...
                    Yes, who can forget the print server.
                    Back on topic, I still miss native wayland combined with hardware acceleration. But that would actually be useful.....

Comment

The only way you can't hack it is if the actual driver is in the cloud and the javascript in the browser only provides a bridge for that.
                      I'm pretty sure that hardware would run like total shit if the driver has average Internet latencies.

just one word: IoT

Comment

Working...
                      X