Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.12 Will Be An LTS Release In January 2018

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.12 Will Be An LTS Release In January 2018

Jonathan Riddell has shared some early planning details for the current KDE Plasma 5.11 cycle as well as early details for Plasma 5.12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny. They've matched Plasma 5.12 with Qt 5.9, but just the other day they've added Plasma 5.10 to Neon eschewing Qt 5.9 because it hasn't fixed Wayland support yet.
    Most likely this means they know Wayland support will be fixed by then, but it's still funny imho.

Comment

KDE became my new home since Unity was abandoned and I am very satisfied with the features and the performance. I love the fact that it consumes less than half a Gb and that the direction is back to tried and tested workflows, please keep it that way!

Comment

Frankly it doesn't enter into the discussion one way or another because Wayland isn't part of any LTS promise yet, and it also won't be for 5.12.

Also do note while Neon is a KDE project and Plasma is a KDE project, decisions made in one don't make it the official stance of another. Of course we all talk to each other, but they're still decisions made in different places based on different expertise and with different concerns in mind.

The people who work on Plasma/Wayland have been using Qt 5.9 for some time now, because we need to fix it anyways (and have been, and have made good progress on it).

Basing Plasma 5.12 LTS on Qt 5.9 makes good sense mostly because 5.9 is Qt's new LTS, and Plasma 5.12 LTS will probably outlive Qt 5.6 LTS EOL.

Plasma/Wayland can't be LTS until e.g. a Qt version with support for the about-to-be-stabilized xdg-shell protocol is released and can be required as a dependency (likely Qt 5.10). Stuff that depends on unstable protocols can't be LTS kind of by definition.
        Last edited by Sho_; 07 June 2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Nice to see that this will all work out for openSUSE Leap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
            ...Stuff that depends on unstable protocols can't be LTS kind of by definition.
            It can if you consider the only constant is change

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Funny. They've matched Plasma 5.12 with Qt 5.9, but just the other day they've added Plasma 5.10 to Neon eschewing Qt 5.9 because it hasn't fixed Wayland support yet.
              Most likely this means they know Wayland support will be fixed by then, but it's still funny imho.
              I read somewhere that it will be fixed on qt 5.9.1

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post

I read somewhere that it will be fixed on qt 5.9.1
                I suspect they will do their damndest to make this happen, as ludwig was quite clear that Leap 15 is going to be advertised as Wayland by default, and kde is skirting dangerously close to not being the default DE in future:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...293#post954293

Now, KDE have done as suse have asked, and created a plasma LTS ready for Leap 15, but i wouldn't be surprised if the missing bits and bobs mentioned above by Sho somehow find their way into 5.9.1 to complete the picture...

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

I suspect they will do their damndest to make this happen, as ludwig was quite clear that Leap 15 is going to be advertised as Wayland by default, and kde is skirting dangerously close to not being the default DE in future:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...293#post954293

Now, KDE have done as suse have asked, and created a plasma LTS ready for Leap 15, but i wouldn't be surprised if the missing bits and bobs mentioned above by Sho somehow find their way into 5.9.1 to complete the picture...
                  yeah kde is really missing the ball not supporting EGLstreams and their lacking wayland support and breaking workflows. Basic usability bugs that make me want to use windows 10. But besides those issues its a good DE.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

yeah kde is really missing the ball not supporting EGLstreams
                    You mean "not supporting Nvidia-specific way of doing things".

Comment

Working...
                    X