Fractional Scaling Might Soon Be Accomplished For GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
    If you care more about appearance than performance then you could always use integer scaling and then use xrandr to produce any intermediate fractional scaling you'd like using the --scale and --panning to create a virtual resolution of your choosing.
    Yeap, been there, done that, it kills the performance of my tablet's integrated Intel card and also only works on Xorg.

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    Instead of adding niche features I wish they fixed their broken "reference" email client with sarcastic name "Evolution". Mail composer is totally broken: "undo" doesn't work, clearing formatting doesn't work, setting text style doesn't work, adding columns/rows to tables doesn't work. Garbage level email client. Recipients with spaces and/or commas on name on TO/CC list are improperly quoted when replying, the list of bugs is endless for this "corporate grade" software. The only thing that makes me use Evo is EWS support. I the rest if Gnome is bug ridden garbage like Evo, I'm not surprised nobody sane is using this "reference desktop".
    For what it's worth, KMail has EWS support now through this backend: https://github.com/KrissN/akonadi-ews I've been using it for a few months now and it works rather well.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      For what it's worth, KMail has EWS support now through this backend: https://github.com/KrissN/akonadi-ews I've been using it for a few months now and it works rather well.
      Thanks for the recommendation. I'm also using evolution hooked up to my company's AD/Exchange server and while it's working ok for me, some of my coworkers are looking for alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
        I think this is the real convergence that people actually wanted! If only this packaging situation could be resolved with one solution...
        Well, packaging differences are largely the whole point of distributions, and I understand why there are still a number of them. PackageKit has done the best job of exposing different package managers in a consistent way.

I fear that a merge of package managers would lose what's good about many of them. ALPM/Pacman, in my experience, has the best performance of all the major traditional package managers (not including atomic package managers); on the other hand, RPM/DNF/YUM has delta RPMs (which significantly reduce update bandwidth) and a couple of other conveniences. I don't know of any particular advantage of DEB/APT, I've never really found anything particularly good about either, but they also are the largest distributed base by the numbers.

Maybe Lennart Poettering will save us for a third time. The Final Package Manager would have to eclipse ALPM, RPM, DEB, and Portage in the strengths of each. It would need to have a reliable interoperability/conversion layer for existing packages, or a common local package state format which existing package managers could be ported to for interop.
        But if all of that can be done, then there's no reason why we can't share package managers and still be happy with our distros.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          I am aware of this project. Didn't work for me unfortunately last time I tried it. (just to avoid possible mess up with KDEDIRS I packaged akonadi-ews as live "ebuild", err. .spec file for my work Fedora to have it installed in system prefix, still no luck, mailbox is not loaded, no contacts or calendar either).
          Evo does EWS part right, but the "email client" part if it is unfortunately garbage.
          Last edited by reavertm; 29 May 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Instead of adding niche features I wish they fixed their broken "reference" email client with sarcastic name "Evolution". Mail composer is totally broken: "undo" doesn't work, clearing formatting doesn't work, setting text style doesn't work, adding columns/rows to tables doesn't work. Garbage level email client. Recipients with spaces and/or commas in name on TO/CC list are improperly quoted when replying, the list of bugs is endless for this "corporate grade" software. The only thing that makes me use Evo is EWS support. If the rest of Gnome is bug ridden garbage like Evo, I'm not surprised nobody sane is using this "reference desktop".
            After your comments I quickly fired up Evolution.

None of these so called bugs exist, I could do all the things you are complaining about just fine.
            Maybe it is the distribution you use? (I am running Arch).

Comment

I am aware of this project. Didn't work for me unfortunately last time I tried it. (just to avoid possible mess up with KDEDIRS I packaged akonadi-ews as live "ebuild", err. .spec file for my work Fedora to have it installed in system prefix, still no luck, mailbox is not loaded, no contacts or calendar either).
              Could be your spec file, Akonadi is quite the beast. I'm using it on openSUSE and it's on OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ra/akonadi-ews

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post

DP is no different than percentage...
                “Percentage” of what? It’s an actual unit of measurement--nominally 1/160 of an inch, like I said.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

You obviously didn't even try to use Plasma with fractional scaling...
                  Plasma worked great with it. A few applications didn't though. In particular Kmail fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

“Percentage” of what? It’s an actual unit of measurement--nominally 1/160 of an inch, like I said.
                    There is no difference between <physical unit of measurement> and <calculated percentage of screen>. As I said all Android does to calculate DP is take resolution and DPI then does basic math to save DP as a px/percentage amount to be used later, and you've been able to do this on any platform with decades as long as you graduated middle school. DP exists on Android because developers were not understanding this in the beginning and wanted something that acted like the "px" measurements out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post

There is no difference between <physical unit of measurement> and <calculated percentage of screen>.
                      OK, so what “percentage of screen” does 1dp translate to, then?

Comment

Working...
                      X