KDE Applications 17.04 Unveiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post

That is bullshit. GNOME was always used less memory than KDE. Although it maybe equal on some distros.
    This is "free -m" from a console (with systemd/nm/mm/cups/avahi/... running)
    Code:
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          32128         141       31912           1          74       31749
    Swap:         21441           0       21441
    Add X only (nothing else):
    Code:
    Mem:          32128         173       31860           1          95       31707
    Finally the KDE-5 idle desktop:
    Code:
    Mem:          32128         427       31502           1         199       31436
    So X (+ nvidia driver) adds 32MB of RAM usage, and KDE-5 another 255MB on top (keep in mind that launching
    KDE also launches a few other daemons). I consider that very light for a very pleasant desktop.
    Also, KDE-5 is very stable, haven't seen it crash horribly in 2 years. It does have 1 annoying bug I cannot yet
    find a reliable reproducer for.

Comment

I use xfce, gnome and kde. All of them good DE's. All of them has bugs and short falls though.

Comment

I cannot understand all this hate for KDE. Indeed it has several bugs over releases (that's why I am afraid to use it on rolling releases like antergos/manjaro) but it is more full featured and much lighter than gnome (both at ram usage and at cpu usage). Also, its graphics/effects are much more smoother. I recently gave fedora 26 alpha KDE spin a try and it was amazing and ultra stable. The only reason I don't use fedora is because its limited software and kubuntu/kde neon are too "outdated" for me. But if anyone is ok with ubuntu or fedora distros then KDE should be his 1st DE choice

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post

I laughed really hard. In 2017 when modern computing has all but moved on from spinning optical media, a disc burning utility is finally joining the KDE Applications suite. I get that K3b has existed for a long time on it's own and was included in many KDE based distros, but, still, I got a chuckle.
          it can also make isos i think. so its pretty useful even if you dont use discs.

Comment

I can tell you that KDE Plasma works totally reliably for me for now almost half a year on rolling releases like Tumbleweed and Arch (on Arch even a bit better than on TW).
            Unlike Gnome, which drives me crazy with its focus-stealing feature "this window is now ready" which can't be turned off. Yeah, customization isn't totally pointless afterall and Gnome's advanced tweak tool (not the actual "Tweak Tool") simply doesn't work right.
            Mutter compositing also is just a stuttery mess with the proprietary Nvidia driver, while with KWin I can grab mpv's window while playing and everything remains totally smooth.
            KDE got some bugs here and there, but they aren't critical in my experience and even just hardly annoying.

And when you compare memory concumption, take a loot at physical memory. Just install Tumbleweed in a VM and compare the consumption with the DE's task managers.
            With Gnome, you will end up with ~1GB of RAM used right after installing, while with KDE it's ~500MB.
            xfce with GTK 3 shell and WM is ~280MB, btw.

Comment

I had many problems with Plasma 5 on Kubuntu, which is why I hesitated long to try out a rolling distro.
              Now that I am on Arch, I find KDE Plasma to be much more stable than on the above release-cycle-distro.
              The only problem I have with it is display scaling with non-integer scaling factors (I ended up with keeping original scale and increasing font dpi...).
              GNOME doesn't even allow setting scaling factors <2.

Originally posted by existensil View Post

I laughed really hard. In 2017 when modern computing has all but moved on from spinning optical media, a disc burning utility is finally joining the KDE Applications suite. I get that K3b has existed for a long time on it's own and was included in many KDE based distros, but, still, I got a chuckle.
              Yeah, it should have been in there earlier. K3b may not be used much, but after three years without having to burn a single disk and now needing to to perform a UEFI/BIOS-Update on my notebook, I was very happy to remember that there was some good and easy-to-use program named K plus some number

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post
                (I ended up with keeping original scale and increasing font dpi...)
                I'm doing that too for 1440p@27" (+ website zoom in browser if necessary). Works really well, just compare that to the pathetic scaling options of Windows 10 which never work out great for this case.

Another thing that Plasma does great is color correction, you can correct your display's tint without icc profile. And unlike the crappy feature of Windows 10, Plasma's color correction doesn't seem to introduce additional banding.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                  They should rewrite that shit in gtk+ ... only THEN will I use it, because I don't like applications written in C++, and some other random reasons also.
                  so don't use Firefox, VLC, audacious and audacity; also:

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    And they havent even tried to port to Wayland yet. This massive failure cant be ignored. Lesson should be learned, Qt will always priortize paying windows customers over freeloaders. You cant shoehorn freedom and sane APIs into crap like Windows or Qt.
                    Are you for real ? Qt even has a library that allows you to build a wayland compositor in a few lines (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwaylandcomp...-main-qml.html), and had official Wayland support for years (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc5NDg).

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Are you for real ? Qt even has a library that allows you to build a wayland compositor in a few lines (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwaylandcomp...-main-qml.html), and had official Wayland support for years (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc5NDg).
                      Griffith never lets annoying things like facts get in the way of a good trolling. He much prefers to just make things up as he goes along.

Comment

Working...
                      X