GNOME 3.24 Released With Night Light Mode, Maps Navigation & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Might depend on drivers? It's not something I've been paying particular attention to, but given that pretty much anything other than native GNOME apps are running under XWayland still, I've not noticed any problem myself.
    I suspect gnome does additional compositing on xwayland that kde does not, and that is the issue. I've only tested on amdgpu and radeon, but various low-high cards cards: tahiti, hawaii, r9 fury (forget the chip name).

Results: - xwayland web browsers have a stutter in scrolling. Not an issue with wayland web browsers or same xwayland browsers on plasma wayland)

- FPS video games are unplayable on gnome xwayland (bad stutter, awful performance, bad input lag). Tested a few steam games (csgo and the like), but suspect any xwayland game will fall short on gnome.

I like using gnome (especially with wayland colord/night light support), but need to switch back and forth to another wayland compositor to fill in.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post

I suspect gnome does additional compositing on xwayland that kde does not, and that is the issue.
      That might be a factor, if kwin already supports direct scanout of Wayland client buffers.

I've only tested on amdgpu and radeon, but various low-high cards cards: tahiti, hawaii, r9 fury (forget the chip name).
      It's Fiji.

Results: - xwayland web browsers have a stutter in scrolling. Not an issue with wayland web browsers or same xwayland browsers on plasma wayland)

- FPS video games are unplayable on gnome xwayland (bad stutter, awful performance, bad input lag). Tested a few steam games (csgo and the like), but suspect any xwayland game will fall short on gnome.
      These could be due to an Xwayland issue: Xwayland needs better Present extension support

Comment

GNOME 3.24 is a great release! I especially appreciate the night light mode.
        It is really cool that Web (Epiphany, the web browser) can start websites in app mode with a minimal user interface, really cool to make Gmail, Maps, Keep, etc web apps reachable from desktop.

The bad stuff:
        • Builder doesn't seem to support linting or auto-completion.
        • Glade haven't been updated since 3.20.
        • Web isn't suitable for tab heavy users due to the Adwaita theme using much space for tabs.
        • The web developer tools in Web seems buggy and immature.
        • There is no GNOME Classic session for Wayland yet.
        • GNOME Recipe seems useless, it only provides info, you could use a website or a PDF book for that. Smells like some "outreachy" program give someone money and let them work on unimportant stuff.
        • No support for GitHub in GNOME Online Accounts.
        • Ubuntu ships old versions of GNOME Terminal, Gedit and Nautilus.
        • GNOME on Wayland loses much of its appeal without Firefox and Chromium having Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Does gnome-flashback work well with Wayland? (I'm not sure if it works with mutter)

Also, I don't think they're going to line up the gtk version with GNOME anymore, as gtk is now on a much longer release cycle than GNOME.

GNOME 3.24 still targets gtk 3.22, I would think GNOME 3.26 would too, as gtk4 doesn't look like it's going to be released soon (I believe I read spring 2019 somewhere) and gtk 3.22 will be supported for "3+ years" (I assume 6 months after gtk4, i.e. autumn 2019).
          If GNOME 3.24 still targets GTK 3.22, then how come *some* GNOME 3.24 software says to me "you need GTK 3.23.90 or higher"? (but yes, GNOME Calculator 3.24 runs fine on 3.22 without complaining about GTK being too old so some of the stack does work on 3.22)
          Last edited by Vistaus; 23 March 2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            GNOME 3.24 is a great release! I especially appreciate the night light mode.
            It is really cool that Web (Epiphany, the web browser) can start websites in app mode with a minimal user interface, really cool to make Gmail, Maps, Keep, etc web apps reachable from desktop.

The bad stuff:
            • Glade haven't been updated since 3.20.
            • Web isn't suitable for tab heavy users due to the Adwaita theme using much space for tabs.
            • The web developer tools in Web seems buggy and immature.
            • There is no GNOME Classic session for Wayland yet.
            • GNOME Recipe seems useless, it only provides info, you could use a website or a PDF book for that. Smells like some "outreachy" program give someone money and let them work on unimportant stuff.
            • No support for GitHub in GNOME Online Accounts.
            • Ubuntu ships old versions of GNOME Terminal, Gedit and Nautilus.
            • GNOME on Wayland loses much of its appeal without Firefox and Chromium having Wayland support.
            If Web tabs take too much space with Adwaita, then just use a different theme like I do.

And Recipes is immature, but don't forget that it's a first release. Many pieces of software are immature in first releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If Web tabs take too much space with Adwaita, then just use a different theme like I do.

And Recipes is immature, but don't forget that it's a first release. Many pieces of software are immature in first releases.
              Yes, it takes up much space because in Adwaita (which is the default theme in GNOME) the tabs are bold, also they have much spacing, and they have a gap between the tabs that takes up space.

GNOME Recipe is just something to look up recipes in. So basically it looks up data. Just like a web browser or a PDF reader. It doesn't work with data. So its better suited as a website than a software application.

Comment

Originally posted by Kibou View Post
                Sarcasm?
                no, just trolling

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  The bad stuff:
                  Autocomplete used to work, at least when writing Vala code. I haven't it tried recently though (probably builder 3.20). I don't know about linting support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If GNOME 3.24 still targets GTK 3.22, then how come *some* GNOME 3.24 software says to me "you need GTK 3.23.90 or higher"? (but yes, GNOME Calculator 3.24 runs fine on 3.22 without complaining about GTK being too old so some of the stack does work on 3.22)
                    Odd, IIRC gtk 2.23 was never released and code was moved to 3.89 (dev version for gtk4), with 3.22 as the last gtk3 version. Possibly a documentation typo?

EDIT: It wouldn't be sane for a released stable version of GNOME to require or target a development version of gtk (latest stable release is on the 3.22 branch, gtk 3.23/3.24 releases do not exist, and gtk4 is still in development). As well AFAIK, Fedora 26's Gnome 3.24 stack is completely built using gtk 3.22 with no issue.
                    Last edited by Mystro256; 23 March 2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Odd, IIRC gtk 2.23 was never released and code was moved to 3.89 (dev version for gtk4), with 3.22 as the last gtk3 version. Possibly a documentation typo?

EDIT: It wouldn't be sane for a released stable version of GNOME to require or target a development version of gtk (latest stable release is on the 3.22 branch, gtk 3.23/3.24 releases do not exist, and gtk4 is still in development). As well AFAIK, Fedora 26's Gnome 3.24 stack is completely built using gtk 3.22 with no issue.
                      To be fair: I didn't try to compile all GNOME software and like I said: gnome-calculator does compile and work fine with 3.22 But there were a few apps that told me I needed GTK 3.23.x You say 3.23.x was never released, so maybe it was a bug in some of the apps that's now been resolved?

Comment

Working...
                      X