No announcement yet.

Audacity 2.1.3 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new feature which I really like: the 'compressor' tool now allows for much less "radical" compression - and I find values around "1.3" to be perfect for creating slightly compresed 'Car Audio' FLAC files from CD's which I own, but find impossible to play in the car. (The CDs have me groping at the volume + and - buttons every few seconds). Lots of other small -scale improvements.

The UI is still primitive, but it's targeted for some improvements in 2.1.4. (Still using WxWidgets, conversion to a different Toolkit would be a huge job, preventing enhancements in audio processing areas.)

Comment

Libraries are created to service Applications and not Applications to service Libraries.

I like it when everything uses the latest libraries because it makes the Linux Experience consistent across applications especially when you have a HIG like Gnome and Elementary do.

That said - I would rather use Audacity with a old GTK where it's stable instead of a buggy piece of shit with X New Cool Library.

Comment

While everyone is squabbling about toolkits they missed the best bit of the release:

A big improvement you will notice is that all effects plus edits and other functionality can now be actioned from paused state

About damn time.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          And here ubuntu and mint noobs have reported bugs caused by their distro. Experienced users like Debian testing and Arch Linux users do not write silly bug reports
          And yet you cite the pulseaudio package in launchpad to "prove" how buggy pulseaudio is...

Comment

I suspect Audacious can be built against GTK3 if you're adventurous enough to waste some time trying. There's a certain block on the wiki that says:

On high resolution screens, Audacity as shipped by distributions or as default-compiled is likely to have very small toolbars and graphical elements but excessively large text - see Linux HiDPI Support. It is possible to work around this by compiling wxWidgets --with-gtk=3 then recompiling Audacity, or by setting a change of monitor resolution when launching Audacity.

No detailed testing has been done yet on Audacity built against GTK3-enabled wxWidgets.

Comment

Smart distributions choose Xfce as default desktop
              Only Retro enthusiast distributions for users who like their DE to look like Windows v1.0
              Last edited by Slartifartblast; 20 March 2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Its not original Xfce in ubuntu, it is canonical buggy hack of Xfce. And here ubuntu and mint noobs have reported bugs caused by their distro:
                As DanL pointed out, you yourself used the Ubuntu bug list, so when replying to you, we can only use the same distro as a reasonable comparison. The point remains - thousands of bug reports. Slagging off users who go to the trouble of writing up a bug report doesn't validate your position, it just makes you a jerk who doesn't understand the userbase of your own chosen desktop environment.

Experienced users like Debian testing
                Yeah right! I guess you're one of those "experienced users', right? I'm experienced too. I remember back around the days of Slackware 4, there were self-appointed gods of the Slackware forums who did their best to drive away new users with their self-indulgent bullshit. Lots of users commented on the effect it was having on the community, and eventually Patrick threatened to quit if some key trolls didn't pull their heads in. You remind me of them, though they were admittedly less fan-boi like and more knowledgeable.

Smart distributions choose Xfce as default desktop
                Get your hand off it mate! Smart distros give users choice.

So I went to https://www.debian.org/Bugs/ to have a look at how many XFCE bugs have been reported against Debian. Their bugzilla instance is pretty borked. I found ZERO bugs after a quick ( 2 minute ) play with their custom search front-end. Then I tried their suggestion: http://bugs-search.debian.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi - which doesn't even resolve. Ouch! Finally, I tried https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...sort:relevance - 689 results. That's quite a few bug reports from so-called "experienced users", though I expect at least some of the bug reports are simply asking why Debian doesn't remove XFCE.

Now, according to https://brashear.me/blog/2015/08/24/...bution-survey/ there are over twice the number of Ubuntu users as Debian users, and this survey was a couple of years ago, so the gap has probably widened since then. If we multiply the 689 bugs that Google Groups managed to find by 2 ( assuming each new user would find and report the same number of bugs ), we can scale Debian's smaller bug count to 1,378 bugs. For a supposedly stable window manager, that's a lot of bugs. Even ignoring scaling, 689 bugs is quite a lot of bugs. In fact, it seems like ANY large software project might indeed have a lot of bugs ( though calling the minimalist window manager a 'large' project might be stretching things ).

Anyway, I see bugs and an angry, confused fanboi.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Only Retro enthusiast distributions for users who like their DE to look like Windows v1.0
                  Lol, what? Considering how horrid the GNOME 3 interface is, is it any wonder lots of folks are looking elsewhere? I mean seriously, what were the GNOME 3 designers thinking? It's so bad it's practically unusable. I would honestly rather use Windows v1.0 than GNOME 3.

Comment

Well I've said this before, but I'm no fan of GNOME 3's interface. It looks pretty though, I'll give them that.

Comment

Working...
                    X