Some Of The Changes Coming To KDE Plasma 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

If you don't consider a dual monitor Intel laptop configuration as "common" then you're perfectly right.
    Not using DP MST, I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not using DP MST, I don't.
      Then how can you attach two external monitors to your laptop? MST is the only way for the vast majority of laptops.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

If you don't consider a dual monitor Intel laptop configuration as "common" then you're perfectly right.
        Well yes, he's right, as he is mostly right to consider that single monitor is the "common configuration". At least when you take the "desktop users" as a whole.

Or course, if you focus on the "developers" sub-group, the most common is probably dual-screen, and I'd bet there are at least 10% out there that have 3 or more screens at once. XD

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post
          Well yes, he's right, as he is mostly right to consider that single monitor is the "common configuration". At least when you take the "desktop users" as a whole.

Or course, if you focus on the "developers" sub-group, the most common is probably dual-screen, and I'd bet there are at least 10% out there that have 3 or more screens at once. XD
          I wasn't implying that single monitor is the common configuration (though it is). I was saying two displays over DP MST on intel graphics is rather uncommon.
          Even within the developers group, many still favour a plain old desktop. Outputs galore, problem solved.

darkbasic Laptops tend to have two outputs anyway, unless you go for macs or some other slim contraption.

Comment

Laptops tend to have two outputs anyway, unless you go for macs or some other slim contraption.
            They used to, unfortunately now all modern laptops don't have more than a single output anymore. That's why I was implying you were talking about single monitor: dual monitor with more than one output is almost impossible with modern laptops, unfortunately.
            ## VGA ##

Comment

They used to, unfortunately now all modern laptops don't have more than a single output anymore. That's why I was implying you were talking about single monitor: dual monitor with more than one output is almost impossible with modern laptops, unfortunately.
              I won't deny there are laptops out there with a single video output, but dual output are still commonplace.
              From a proper Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...t-series/t560/
              to an Asus ultrabook: http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510...hscreen+Laptop

So there, just because you have one, it doesn't mean "all modern laptops don't have more than a single output anymore".

Comment

So there, just because you have one, it doesn't mean "all modern laptops don't have more than a single output anymore".
                I should have said "most" instead of "all", you're correct. But still this is the trend, so I wouldn't call DP-MST so uncommon for dual monitor setups.
                ## VGA ##

Comment

I should have said "most" instead of "all", you're correct. But still this is the trend, so I wouldn't call DP-MST so uncommon for dual monitor setups.
                  I'm a developer and I don't know anyone that uses that configuration. But if you want to call it common, so be it.

Comment

I'm a developer and I don't know anyone that uses that configuration. But if you want to call it common, so be it.
                    I'm a developer too and most of the developers I know who use a laptop with a dual monitor setup use Thunderbolt, then comes DP-MST and last but not the least laptops with multiple video outputs. Maybe it's not as common as I may have stated, but surely it isn't such a strange/weird setup and there are actually plenty of people using it.
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                    X