Why I Run Fedora Linux On My Main Production System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Thanks for this interview bit; it was great (fun), but I guess I can see why these questions were finally cut.

Now, my turn to share my very latest Wayland experience (spoiler: it's far from stellar. I did not write a bug report yet, though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIkR_kbROBc
    KDE? Buggy? On Wayland? That is so unexpected.
    The last time I used kde on X it was a mess. I have heard it became good recently, but Wayland suppport is not the thing KDE can boost about at the moment. Apart from weston, gnome is the best one for wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post

Eh?

I play games in Ubuntu's stock kernel without issue. UX is fine.

Why do people care about what distros others use? With the exception of Android it's all pretty much the same, just with different package managers and sometimes different config file pathings. And you can still roll custom packages for whatever you want if your preferred distro doesn't ship a version you need or a feature you need.
      Because it's a chance to show the world how much smarter you are for choosing distribution X?

But on a serious note, yeah, aside from an exclusive utility here and there, different defaults and personal habits, Linux is Linux.

Comment

While i find Fedora exciting, since it's bleeding edge, i also find it frustrating, since it breaks a lot (for me, at least...)
        So i always endup reverting to what works for me...

I really love Fedora for what it brings to the table in terms of continuously pushing forward, technologies wise. But i can't really recommend it as a Production...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
          Wayland suppport is not the thing KDE can boost about at the moment. Apart from weston, gnome is the best one for wayland.
          Well, I just updated to KDE 5.9 in Neon and your statement can be truly disputed now. I am using it for a couple hours and it seems pretty good to me. The last big bump was the lack of touchpad configuration, but that's gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            It's just too bad that Fedora still doesn't give its users the choice to run a soft real-time Linux kernel for gaming or audio/video production like Ubuntu does with the "lowlatency" kernel package!
            Thus, Fedora is basically useless for any enjoyable user-experience...
            Google for planetccrma

Comment

It's probably unfair of me, but, after migrating off the Mandakelinux 10.0 install that I spent a year getting used to Linux on, I left RPM-based distros and never looked back.

RPM-based tooling has always felt primitive and half-baked to me and RedHat doesn't seem interested in addressing the points I judge based on. (I remember hearing that OSTree forces reboots to update packages and, last I checked, they still didn't have a proper equivalent to packages.debian.org, packages.ubuntu.com, packages.gentoo.org, archlinux.org/packages, etc.)

It doesn't help that I was spoiled by having Gentoo as my first non-Mandrake distro. Debian-family distros still lock the package database exclusively and still lack a package searching tool as good as eix.

I will, however, given it to them that RPM specfiles look friendlier than .deb packaging boilerplate.

Comment

Let me just write something about ARCH... Fedora, my own experience, is much more _comfortable_. But since ARCH is _the edge_ you can't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

RPM-based tooling has always felt primitive and half-baked to me and RedHat doesn't seem interested in addressing the points I judge based on. (I remember hearing that OSTree forces reboots to update packages and, last I checked, they still didn't have a proper equivalent to packages.debian.org, packages.ubuntu.com, packages.gentoo.org, archlinux.org/packages, etc.)
                  OSTree does not use packages at all. It is a form of image based updates and image based updates typically do require a reboot to take effect. Nobody "forces" anything. They are designed as a platform for containers where this is seamless. As for a web interface for packages, there are several. Users can use:

View detailed information about Fedora packages such as available versions, files, and dependencies.

Other useful tools are listed at

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                    But by the time I figured out the problem was the VPN software and not the host OS, I didn't feel like going through another wipe and reinstall.
                    You mean, you didn’t back up the old OS before installing the new one?

In which case, a restoration would have involved little more than an rsync command.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                      It's just too bad that Fedora still doesn't give its users the choice to run a soft real-time Linux kernel for gaming or audio/video production like Ubuntu does with the "lowlatency" kernel package!
                      Thus, Fedora is basically useless for any enjoyable user-experience...
                      First, the basic rt kernel seems to have significantly higher max latency than the full rt (expected) AND the default desktop preemption (start around 13:50) - https://youtu.be/QiguBicpB88
                      However, this might now be fixed.
                      Additionally, you really need apps that are written to take advantage of these kinds of kernels. If the app does work in the main thread, things are going to suck regardless. If the app doesn't ask for the right priority, or doesn't have the right caps to do so, your experience will still suck.
                      Certainly if userspace was written such that it could take proper advantage of these features, and the preemptible kernel was well tested, the ux would be better.
                      Using cpuset/affinities is a good alternative, if the issue is just a few apps.
                      What i would like to see is for apps, especially media oriented apps, to start including a section for deadline scheduling.

Comment

Working...
                      X