Changes To Look Forward To With Firefox 52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    it requires to use pulseaudio, uses more ram than Chrome and Google Hangouts does not work. It is garbage software now, used firefox for several years.
    1. Pulseaudio is good

2. Chrome/Chromium consumes much more RAM than firefox does with multiple tabs open. I use both browsers all the time and firefox is much lighter.

Comment

You have not measured. Google has improved Chrome since old days.
      thats true chrome now uses less ram but still more than firefox

Comment

1. Pulseaudio is shit, uses cpu more, requires editing .conf files to be usable. Full of same bugs year after year:

2. Tested with 2 tabs and same content, firefox uses 60MB more ram.
        Is shitting on things you (supposedly) don't use the highlight of your life? Or are you just killing time?

Comment

1. Pulseaudio is shit, uses cpu more, requires editing .conf files to be usable
          Been using Pulseaudio for years and have never once needed to edit a conf file or had to make any configuration changes really. It's always just worked for everything I've needed it to do (on a Dell laptop using Arch + KDE).

Comment

Look like an nice upcoming release.

However, I find Firefox lacking in certain areas:
            - No support for Wayland.
            - No support for HTML5 input types datetime, datetime-local, date, time, month, week.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              so confused.. isn't PPAPI "the new" (and safer) flash?
              doesn't Adobe provide both (NPAPI and PPAPI) on its Linux download page?
              What's NPAPI for then? (if my previous rethorical questions make sense)
              Cheers
              Like -webkit CSS, PPAPI isn't a standard. It's specified based around quirks of Chrome's internals. (Google proposed Pepper API as a successor to NPAPI but, when Mozilla asked Google to discuss changing it to be less tied to Chrome's internal design decisions, Google basically said "Fine, don't use it then" and it evolved into PPAPI. There does exist an NPAPI->PPAPI bridge for Firefox, but it's basically a hack similar to how Pipelight uses Wine code to run the Windows Silverlight plugin on Linux Firefox.)

Comment

it requires to use pulseaudio
                - You can still build it without pulseaudio (--enable-alsa --disable-pulseaudio).
                - From reading the bug report, it's not clear to me how long they intend to support the ALSA backend: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247056
                - They really should have waited until FF 53 to make this change, considering that FF 52 will be the base for the next ESR

Comment

CNET dedicated a whole article to the layoffs where they blared "Firefox Fail". If it were a fail, it's because they didn't do it sooner. It's the right move for them. They need to concentrate their limited resources on core technologies - making them best in class. They finally realized that. A strong/competitive Firefox is good for everyone. I just switched back to using FF from Chrome. It's going to be a bit bumpy while they get webextensions working - but I'm pleased with the overall experience. As far as the RAM, etc. there have been countless articles that all agree that FF uses less RAM - but for most people it doesn't really make that big of difference. All the major browsers these days are perfectly capable of providing a good user experience. What matters though is making sure there are choices and commitment to user privacy and security. Mozilla keeps those issue in the forefront.

Comment

"improved file downloading experience"
                    I don't know exactly what it is, flat, material, metro design, but it looks like crap. It's too much white, too dull, progress bar is too thin.
                    It was better before!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      "improved file downloading experience"
                      I don't know exactly what it is, flat, material, metro design, but it looks like crap. It's too much white, too dull, progress bar is too thin.
                      It was better before!
                      Use Flashgot, Downloadthemall, send 2 aria2, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X