Linux Has Conquered The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Has Conquered The Desktop

I never trusted those market-share figures that keep claiming that Linux desktop market share is something minuscule. I remember reading an interview several years ago with someone high up at Microsoft—might have been Steve Ballmer—where he admitted that their own figures showed Linux desktop market share at 5-6%.

What clinches the point, within the last month or so, is Microsoft adding its Linux compatibility layer to Windows 10. Some have tried to interpret this as the first stage in the infamous “Embrace, Extend, Extinguish” strategy that Microsoft has used to destroy other competitors. But even assuming the worst about Microsoft’s motives and capabilities, it cannot work that way.

Look at what it has meant in the past, when the owner of a platform has added a compatibility layer to allow software from some other platform to run: it has invariably meant that the platform owner has given up on any realistic chance of having a thriving ecosystem of native applications, and is resorting in desperation to trying to co-opt the ecosystem from the emulated platform in its stead. And look at what else it has meant: it gives developers an excuse to abandon native development, which in turn has ultimately meant, after another few years, the extinction of the host platform.

The addition of a Linux layer to Windows means Microsoft has seen the writing on the wall about the future of native Windows apps. There is simply no other rational reason why Microsoft felt the need to do this. In fact, its own corporate pride would never have allowed such a capitulation to the Open Source riff-raff, so to speak, that it has been pooh-poohing for years. It can only be sheer overwhelming customer demand that could have forced its hand.

It has long been clear that Linux completely dominates every segment of the computing world, apart from the desktop. Well, now its domination of the computing world is complete.

1. Linux has dominated the Phone market in the form of Android
    2. Linux has dominated the Tablet market in the form of Android
    3. Linux has dominated the Server market
    4. Linux has dominated the SmartTV market
    5. Linux had dominated the Infotainment Market in cars in the form of Ubuntu (I'm looking @ you mercades & tesla)
    6. Linux or more correctly, macOS has dominated the professional musician & cinematography market, I count this because X11, GNU Toolchain, OpenGL, CUPS, etc... all run on Mac and Linux with few code differentials to my knowledge.
    7. PlayStation 4 runs on OrbisOS which is a FreeBSD custom variant which shares a common heritage and app base from Linux.
    8. Your Fancy New Thermostat runs Linux
    9. Your router is Linux.
    10. Your GMail, Yahoo Mail -- all hosted on Linux Server Clusters.
    11. Every time you do a Google Search Query you are using a Linux Server to deliver information.
    12. Your fancy new Nintendo will likely include Vulkan at some point since Nintendo is part of the Khronos Group - which will likely mean Linux and MESA at the core.

The fact that the Desktop market is not mainly Linux is a non-problem. Android Tablets & Phones are shrinking the Desktop Pool and when the recession of PC users stops what will be left over is:
    A. Gamers
    B. Programmers, Developers, etc..
    C. Graphics Artists
    D. Musicians
    E. Cinematography / Video Editing

All of these categories and use cases on some level are completly available on macOS and Linux.

Stack Overflow notes in their yearly report that at least 21.7% of developers are using Linux and 26.2% Mac - meaning at least 48% of developers prefer Unix style systems over Windows at present.

The fate of Windows has been sealed. Microsoft knows it and is switching to a Software as a Service business SaaS, thus Office 365, apps on iOS, mac, Linux, Android, etc...

This is no different than when SEGA ceased to develop hardware and became a software company. Linux has dominated, will dominate.

I've seen more Windows 10 converts this year than any other year, the monopoly is finally broken. Now all we need is business-class products like Adobe CAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc...

Comment

Oh, I think we can already do better than Photoshop. Adobe just has the superior advertising budget, that’s all.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        The fact that the Desktop market is not mainly Linux is a non-problem. Android Tablets & Phones are shrinking the Desktop Pool and when the recession of PC users stops what will be left over is:
        A. Gamers
        B. Programmers, Developers, etc..
        C. Graphics Artists
        D. Musicians
        E. Cinematography / Video Editing
        Why don't you mix up Windows and Linux like you are mixing up MacOS and Linux? Both are sharing equal amount of common heritage with a Linux. None.
        AFAIK carteinment is running on QNX usually, not on Linux.

Coding is simply somewhat easier on Unix-like OS or Linux. At least once you stop developing for Windows exlusively.

Gaming on Linux will never get popular. Outside attempts at PR. Too fragmented and it would be too heavy burden to provide tech support for studios.

Graphics artists use often Mac or then, Windows.

Musicians are better off on ANYTHING but Linux. Lennart Poettering's PulseAudio is complete piece of shit once you have to use it on professional level. You are going to fight more with it's issues produced by it's poor design decisions than doing your work. Systemd die-hards, crucify me now.

Video Editing. Mostly done again, on Mac or Windows.

Too optimistic in your evaluations.
        Last edited by aht0; 08 December 2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
          Oh, I think we can already do better than Photoshop. Adobe just has the superior advertising budget, that’s all.
          Did you notice from pictures that programs were running inside windows? Windows 7 judging by titlebar style. And that all 3 OSS programs have existing Windows ports? It's pretty unlikely that the university is going to drop windows (for which they already have paid)

Comment

Working...
          X