Luncher: Enlightenment Has A New Launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Many things (ie computers cars) move forward because they are driven by advancement in technology/materials etc (ie screen resolution, battery tech, advanced alloys and so on). Simpler things -or to put it better things that are not so dependent on the tech advancement or reached a point where it doesn't matter much anymore- tend to have a more timeless design. Ie an eames plastic chair is as beautiful in 2016 as it was in the 50s when it was first introduced. You get my point i believe.
    To a certain extent, but while say the car has been fairly unchanged in the last 50 years functionally, it has gone through a drastic design change. I also can't think of a single market where design is left alone. I would argue though that a computers design is far more significant than a chair design (even though the plastic chair itself has changed since its introduction).
    My point still stands, for the vast majority of people, E is ugly as fuck. Too many animations for the sake of it, which is a real shame as E is a technical marvel, just artistically it leaves a lot to be desired (visually, and from basic UI design perspective)

Comment

Originally posted by jKicker View Post
      Somebody should create a modern/flat looking theme and enlightenment would suddenly became extremely popular
      I'm working on one:

Themes are massive adventures in designing a LOT of specific UI elements, their animation, layout, padding, icons and symbols and more. Just time and effort required to get there eventually.

Originally posted by jKicker View Post
      This looks good on something like macbook pro, on generic monitor this is unusable
      This may be because I have pretty good screens on my devices that i properly "calibrate" to have proper gamma response etc. - I have seen the default on really bad monitors and well.. it just looks not so good. But What to do? just stick to middle range colors only because people may have junky screens? That is why you can have different themes I guess... Or fix up gamma/contrast/brightness and other controls.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
        Has anyone got the current git tree running on wayland? I'm starting via tty (setting enlightenment_start in a wayland session file doesn't start via sddm), but have never been able to get it running xwayland apps (firefox or chromium for starters), or even open terminology without crashing.

I'm not sure if it's my issue from running off the obs dev (supposed git) repo on opensuse, or upstream.
        I have had it running on my intel gfx laptop, nouveau driver (nvidia) based laptop and on raspberry pi 3 too. it seems buggier than normal on the rpi. it's getting there but has some rough bits. the cursors now are being fixed up to properly follow theme, so there are issues with them. internal dialogs at the moment are causing crashes - they sued to work a few weeks back, so it's transient.

on all these machines i just run enlightenment_start in a console login and it works. i assume it works because my user has correct membership of groups for device access and these systems all use systemd and are pretty up to date (raspbian testing on rpi and arch on the other boxes).

Comment

I've tried enlightenment in fedora 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. Every single time, I would ditch it and come back in a week to my comfort zone just because of one reason : E crashing on me! Tired of seeing that message asking me to press F1 to continue! What is the current situation ? How often do that happen ? Is it time I give it another try ?

My hardware is just a haswell processor with an nvidia card, which is switched off through bumblebee. so nothing fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Since 2007 and 2009 in the forum and can not handle technical opinion when some one asks. AlsoInternet Etiquette is uknown.
            Talks about netiquette... spams the same opinionated BS all over the forum, often in threads not even about XFCE or Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              There is something that is above fashion/trend/contemporariness and that is elegance and beauty. And IMO this is what a designer should aim at even though few can create timeless designs (be it objects or whtaever).
              Elegance, beauty and timeless designs don't belong in a post about Enlightenment.

Your UI design is done by programmers, and it shows.

Comment

Looks very good so far, keep it up. This is something I'd actually use without modifications.
                Only bad thing is the text under desktop icons. Seems like it lacks antialising or something.

Also, would it be possible to have a gray/white version too (colors reversed, I hope it's not hard)?

Themes are massive adventures in designing a LOT of specific UI elements, their animation, layout, padding, icons and symbols and more. Just time and effort required to get there eventually.
                Yeah, but themes are also make or break a GUI, regardless of its actual technical merits. Glad someone is working on that.

Comment

Enlightenment pros: Lightweith DE universal for desktops, laptops and smaller mobile devices (the first setup shows that options); cofigurable via graphical config menu to the last detail you can practically imagine; extremely stable nuder heavy use; interoperable in the multiplatformal world. Cons: For those used to configure text files nothing for fun; some default non ergonomic GUI setup and icons. Launcher may shorten the cons list to minimum. Those who enjoy DEs internal linking as well as modularity (much different from molochs KDE and Gnome) a matter for testing if not regular use.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Looks very good so far, keep it up. This is something I'd actually use without modifications.
                    Only bad thing is the text under desktop icons. Seems like it lacks antialising or something.
                    i have since changed those. the icon labels were not done there. every week i do a few more elements. if i don't like them i redo them until i'm happy with it. the current labels are flat. that text is actually anti-aliased. it is not blurry though. it's standard bistream vera font ... with bytecode hinting of course so it pixel aligns. i prefer my fonts crisp and clear. i dislike the blurry mac world of fonts... but this hinting is of course an option in the fonts dialog. choose your hinting. want blurry? sure. change the option.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Also, would it be possible to have a gray/white version too (colors reversed, I hope it's not hard)?

Yeah, but themes are also make or break a GUI, regardless of its actual technical merits. Glad someone is working on that.
                    that's simply a matter of colorclasses (every element can be given a "class" of color and if you say all "title_label" elements should be black and all "base.bg" elements grey" ... you get your wish. the colorclass config dialog in has been there forever. themes do have to indicate what elements are a class of and "design for recoloring". you just drag little sliders around or pick from your palette of favorite colors.

Comment

Enlightenment is great.
                      I've been using it on and off since 98 and keep coming back to it for its configurability.
                      If you like a single feature from gnome, one from kde and one from xfce, you can probably have them all in E.

As for jedipottsy/starshipeleven whining about flat/glossy and such design choices being important, I don't agree.
                      Of the probably 100s of people that have seen my desktop at work and amongst friends no one has ever pointed out it as being ugly, rather the opposite. So basically just take a look, and if you like it, why care about what's the current fashion in damn desktop colors/designs, only designers care.

Personally I run all desktops whithout borders/decorations, so they mostly look the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X