GTK+ 4.0 Toolkit Development Is Warming Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Not to mention I'm not going to learn Vala, it has pretty much zero market share outside Gtk and since it exists for like 10 years it means it's not going to get traction. I'd rather learn Rust.
    which has zero market share outside mozilla

Comment

Originally posted by mr_tawan View Post
      One advantage of C over other C++ is it much easier to interface with. C++ has some problem eg. no standard-ABI, name mangling, vtable, etc that force other languages to use similar constructs (I copy these from the D site.).
      c++ has no such problems. there is a standard abi and you could export interface without mangling and vtables

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        which has zero market share outside mozilla
        That is so blatantly false that I it took me a while to figure out how to form a response before I decided simple was best...

The Friends of Mozilla page lists companies running Rust in production, such as Dropbox (they use it on the server side to significantly reduce the cost of provisioning "enough hardware to meet demand"), AppSignal (their Ruby monitoring client is written in Rust for low overhead), Ethcore (the new, recommended Ethereum client is written in Rust), and OneSignal (their iOS push backend is [written in Rust](https://onesignal.com/blog/announcin...ivery-backend/))

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That is so blatantly false that I it took me a while to figure out how to form a response before I decided simple was best...

The Friends of Mozilla page
          Ugh. Friends of Rust. Ya read over it three times, then only see the problem after posting. I hate this inability to edit posts.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            return to me with release of rust ide for eclipse

Comment

Move to C++? The biggest advantage GTK has over every other system is that gobject is the best object system ever designed (for GUI use). The object system in C++ is designed to be fast when used correctly, and confusing and difficult to interface with from other systems.

Sure, GTK takes a lot of code in C. If that's a problem, some other language with GI bindings instead. With GI, you can use any language you want.

Comment

Originally posted by pheldens View Post
                I hardly got used to the halfassed gtk3, I hope 4 will remain backwards compatible so we dont need another paralell install
                Somehow I doubt that
                APIs are like bones: sometimes you have to break them to mend them, and it fucking hurts. It’s not a perfect analogy, but it reflects an observation of (superficially) pragmatic behavioural t…

Comment

It could be worse, they could be "preserving ABI compatibility" the way GCC did.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Cairo *was* a big deal when it came out. Problem is, it sort of stagnated, and I understand the design was never *quite* right for users. That's why Mozilla built Azure as a replacement. If you read the Azure announcement, it explains the issues fairly well.

Well, it wasn't right for CANVAS, certainly, but it also did this weird "expose stateful api but internal have a stateless surfaces, so, yay, we always require two conversions!" but in practice it wasn't, for the most part, terrible for drawing ui as long as you kept the number of nodes in check.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      return to me with release of rust ide for eclipse
                      Don't move the goal posts.

You said nobody uses it outside of Mozilla and I demonstrated how that statement is false.

Comment

Working...
                      X