LXQt Memory Usage On Par With LXDE, Loiwer Than Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Which is a realistic test, and not a synthetic one. People will run a real system without dropping caches every 2 seconds, so he tested that.

USB drives, multibooting, another hard drive around. Moron dumbfuck retard.

In professional tests, the person setting this up isn't an idiot and can set these things properly without disabling 3D acceleration in VB. Also, he needed to test Cinnamon and Gnome3 that do need compositing.

fixed.
    Nice try, Re Tardo!

1) No, we don't need realistic tests because every person in the world has a different workflow and there's no way in the universe you can measure everything for everyone.

2) Do you understand that certain boot up services/application/whatever else may pollute cache and never be actually used for anything involving a running DE session? We are measuring a DE session, now whatever fuq you may run in background. Also see point 1.

3) Do you realize that I might _not_ be running a compositing window manager, but the average Joe might run it? Or maybe Joe decided his graphics drivers are not good enough/or there are regression in regard to compositing so he disables it altogether? That's why you test with compositing off. Also, KWin is known to leak memory, and as of yesterday I discovered a huge memory leak on my friend's PC running Ubuntu LTS 16.10/Unity. Should we still be arguing your compositing worthless shat?

Again go fuq off.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      It seems many of you aren't aware that pcmanfm-qt exists... Anyway, I actually like it. My main gripe with it is how unstable it is, but I overall prefer it over Thunar.
      That explains why I don't dislike the file manager; either I or the distro (Manjaro) maintainer already replaced it with pcmanfm on my install. It could well have been me as I didn't like Thunar much.

Comment

Just add more swap to that machine PCMan and you are safe

Comment

The whole Qt5 suite is large, but it's modular and not all parts are loaded in your RAM. Used with care, it's not that different from gtk+. So don't judge an application based on the toolkit it uses simply because some people believe that it's bloated. So use whatever you like when choosing the app for your desktop or choosing the toolkit for development. They are equally good. That's the point of this post.

Comment

Borrowed some concepts from economics. The initial cost of installing Qt5 is higher, but this is the fixed cost. As these are shared libraries, adding more Qt applications can still reuse these shared resources. So the marginal cost of adding new apps can be low. For single application, the size of Qt looks bloated, but from the viewpoint of a DE, the cost can be amortized so we can still have a descent environment that has reasonable resource usage while using a nice C++ toolkit. Tools are just tools. What really matters is how you use them.

Comment

You can talk whatever you want, but gtk2 is unbeatable

Also you are running test on 32bit distro, most does not use that ... but if someone really wanna ulitimately to save mem then there is nor reason to switch from 32bit nor from gtk2 probably not in the next 5-7 years even if not more

As Windows 10 supports 32bit, also Windows XP is still used more then Linux on Desktop... if not in whole

Comment

But OK, if target are not just oldies then issue will be fixed as soon as Pi adds more RAM

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  A lot of features from original LXDE are still missing. E.g. Pcmanfm is a joke, with most previous feature removed (not re-implemented). Numbers may look good, user experience does not.
                  Hello, I'm the author of the "joke".
                  Would you like to share some ideas to help future improvement?
                  Which part specifically are missing and what's your suggestions?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Whisker menu especially in version 2 ported to gtk3 will save you memory and be compatible with themes

And more stable old version in Debian Testing 1.5 also leaking memory

Comment

Lightweight means special attention taken on resources, memory and CPU usage... but not just to be a bit more lightweight then others

Comment

Working...
                      X