Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.6 Alpha Available With New Features

Phoronix: Xfce 4.6 Alpha Available With New Features

The final release of the Xfce 4.6 desktop environment was supposed to come this month, but instead the first alpha release has finally come about. Xfce 4.4 was originally released in January of 2007, so it has been quite a while since this lightweight desktop environment has received a major update. This release though does introduce a fair number of changes, which we have covered in this article.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome-light, low fat, low fibre...

So its coming late, well better that then never.
    But,
    Its starting to look like gnome (panels, menulayout)
    Its starting to work like gnome (gconf style)
    Its starting to use/depending on 'gnomish' software (gstreamer)

*Sarcasm off*

Is that just me who thinks this is going to be 'gnome-light' a couple of releases down the river!?

Comment

Originally posted by hungerfish View Post
      So its coming late, well better that then never.
      But,

*Sarcasm off*

Is that just me who thinks this is going to be 'gnome-light' a couple of releases down the river!?
      No. I suspected so a few releases back. The only difference is some of xfce's stuff doesn't look very mature. Especially on the GUI side of things. Sometimes it looks like they didn't really try.

Comment

the screenshots in the article are taken from (x)ubuntu, which is indeed making xfce look (and behave) like gnome. just try to compile it in gentoo, to see what the standard config looks like and what dependencies it has. then, compare how much time gnome needs to compile.

for me xfce is, despite its lightwightness, the most pleasent desktop environment around. and it is totaly easy to configure/modify if you don't like the way how your distri ships it.

i hope that won't happen :-/

Comment

This is made specifically for low resource situations.

I loaded Xubuntu on an old Gigabyte 768 MB AMD 500mhz Super 7 machine using Opera as the browser, and it's a joy to use, very responsive, very quick. You'd never know you were using a system that old and that slow.

I don't think there was any hurry to replace the last release because it's a classic. Hopefully the new relase can live up to that, which is maybe more important then being on schedule.

Might be cool to use Xubuntu buckets on a virtual system where you use an OS for single applications that can be moved between machines. Seems like low resource usuage works well with a virtual setup too.
          Last edited by WSmart; 15 September 2008, 09:19 AM. Reason: information

Comment

for me xfce is, despite its lightwightness, the most pleasent desktop environment around. and it is totaly easy to configure/modify if you don't like the way how your distri ships it.
            *signed*

I use xfce (with gentoo) and I'm very happy with it. I even have two panels just like with gnome
            I'll just wait and see what this next release will be like, but dear non-existing god, I just hope it wont depend on gstreamer!

Comment

You can make Xfce KDE like too, by removing upper panel and adding a menu button to lower panel as well as making the lower panel full width. This makes Xfce so cutomizable and flexible so it can easily fit both GNOME and KDE users alike

Comment

Working...
              X