KDE Plasma 5.8 LTS Now Available In Beta Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@balouba:
    We are sorry that you had such a bad experience. We are aware that the situation was really bad and that's why we spent a lot of effort in the 5.8 release cycle on improving the multi-screen support on X11. I myself have spent several days going through the bug reports - setting Wayland aside - and help with reproducing issue. That said: it's super important to test now that the beta is out and report any remaining issues. We are very confident about the state of the stack which is under our control.

That said: many of your issues sound like you use Intel hardware and the Intel xorg driver (indications: the screen which is sometimes off (see
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365455), rendering issues). Please try to use the modesettings xorg driver. Our experience currently is that whenever we suggest someone to try it the response is: "oh thank you, all my issues are gone!". Yes that's again moving "blame" somewhere else, but it's not just us who see these problems. That's why Debian and Ubuntu just announced a switch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
      Hopefully Kwin becomes stable again for me. Atm, it always crashes on Steam fullscreen videos.
      Sorry to hear :-( We are not aware of any crashers when going to Steam fullscreen videos. Is the crash reported? Anything I can look into?

Comment

Luckily for me, I use KDE on a laptop and don't really connect multiple displays.

What are the remaining issues for Wayland? I may want to try enabling it again if it's known to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          What are the remaining issues for Wayland? I may want to try enabling it again if it's known to work fine.
          You can check on the known issues: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/5.8_Errata

If you try and find something not working, please report a bug. That's what's currently most missing. We have hardly any open Wayland bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post

If you try and find something not working, please report a bug. That's what's currently most missing. We have hardly any open Wayland bug reports.
            Ah, a few of those issues were ones I've experienced in previous releases. Until the first 2 bullet points are addressed, it looks like I'll stick with X11 for now. I do experience a few of the other listed issues, but I can either deal with them temporarily or they wouldn't really affect me on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
              […]Is your experience different ?
              I mean... starting plasma, see memory used by plasmashell, next open the start menu, the clock... play with widgets and check memory again.
              Doesn't the ram used by plasmashell grows for you?[…]
              I am using radeonsi and tumbleweed the times I use Linux and from similar tests (file copying from a samba share, blinking tray icons) that triggered the problem on my flatmates computer, I can say haven't had the problem of Plasmashell growing to an obscene amount.

Comment

Because we can't fire up KDE+Wayland+Nvidia.
                That's just me being mean, I've read your post and I agree with your stance.
                As for me, Plasma is mostly playing nice. I've seen some issues at work when disconnecting a display, but since I can't use KDE Neon at work, that's on an older release.

Comment

Martin,

I'd love to bang on Wayland. But I can't - seeing as how all my systems are pure Nvidia (not even-hybrid) GPU-based. I'd love to be able to run Nouveau - but it's no where near parity with the proprietary driver or the AMD FOSS driver stack... My laptop already overheats enough as it is - running Gentoo package builds!!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

I'm using arch, but my gpu is an nvidia + proprietary drivers.
                    Is your experience different ?
                    I mean... starting plasma, see memory used by plasmashell, next open the start menu, the clock... play with widgets and check memory again.
                    Doesn't the ram used by plasmashell grows for you?
                    Just doing soo brings it from about 250 to 430.

For comparison, with plasma-desktop from kde4, same system, it starts at 220 and may grow till 250...260MB.
                    using kubuntu 16.04 with backports (so plasma 5.6.5) on r9 290 with padoka, never had this issue.
                    PC is up for about 8h now with use of widgets, menue, krunner and all, plasmashell uses 175mb.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Ah, a few of those issues were ones I've experienced in previous releases. Until the first 2 bullet points are addressed, it looks like I'll stick with X11 for now.
                      Note that the first item is really not a much any more. What I'm aware of is pager and auto-hiding panel not working. Everything else seems to work just fine. And touchpad: you can configure at runtime through dbus. It's only the configuration module which is not yet adjusted to support it.

Comment

Working...
                      X