KDE Plasma 5.7 Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I still wonder why Plasma eats memory like crazy.

This is a new session with zero applications or plasmoids running.

Over 600MB of RAM eaten: http://i.imgur.com/7ZuZYyL.png

KDE developers simply don't care - of course, they usually have at least 16 gigs of RAM.
    As has been mentioned it's only using ~300mb according to your screenshot. Plasma is nearly on par with what I see from xfce with regards to mem usage, and it is MUCH better than Gnome. You want developers that don't care, use Gnome 3. It's had a memory leak for years that eventually consumes -gigabytes- of memory. How anyone manages to use it, I have no idea.

In any case, I don't understand why KDE still gets a bad rap for being bloated and heavy. It uses a reasonable amount or memory, it's quick and snappy, and the last couple versions of plasma 5 have been rock solid stable for me. Although I don't use any of the Akonadi stuff, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      Although I don't use any of the Akonadi stuff, so maybe that has something to do with it.
      Akonadi has nothing to do with Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        Is it possible to have Qt 5.5 and 5.6 on the same machine? Apparently 5.6 corrects a lot of bugs, so I wonder if Kubuntu devs will backport Qt 5.6 to Xenial via PPA.
        tbh you should switch over to manjaro. dont expect something from kubuntu. and dont expect something new all around Qt. because canonical controlls Qt in ubuntu and many bugs in kubuntu are made by the patched Qt/mesa/X from ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

tbh you should switch over to manjaro. dont expect something from kubuntu. and dont expect something new all around Qt. because canonical controlls Qt in ubuntu and many bugs in kubuntu are made by the patched Qt/mesa/X from ubuntu.
          I think the next best distro must be openSUSE.. But I think I will give Fedora 24 with Budgie a try..

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            After more than 10 years and it still looks like shit, as always.
            KDE looks great. Much better than Windows, but Windows always looked like shit.

Comment

I still wonder why you've been always an idiot. You still cannot read.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian testing Xfce uses 150MB-170MB after boot and is much faster, lighter, stable and configurable than kde. No elegant whisker menu in kde that is as bad as ms windows.
                And the shell is even faster, lighter and more stable, so xfce sucks. Much more configurable than KDE? Yeah, sure. Xfce is much faster than KDE? You've got to be kidding. KDE shares resources while xfce doesn't.

Comment

This is a new session with zero applications or plasmoids running.

Over 600MB of RAM eaten: http://i.imgur.com/7ZuZYyL.png
                  As stated by others actually you have 300MEG in use by your user space and another 300 for file caching. Given that you have that memory available and it'snot being used by anything else, what would you like linux to do with it? Not using it at all would be the worst choice.

Actually I'm a bit jealous, 300MB is not a bad results. I normally have about 1GB in use. And today is not even a normal day, 2GB is in use. Looking up the culprit, mysqld is using almost 1GB as it is in use by akonadi, and akonadi itself well, has start 25 processes varying from 4MB to 48MB each.

KDE developers simply don't care - of course, they usually have at least 16 gigs of RAM.
                  That should 'most developers'. Actually most of the time it's only embedded developers who care, as their products are always on and never reboot. In those cases even using the 'heap' is problematic as you can never be sure that a malloc on fragmented memory will succeed. And if you don't use malloc, you need to declare it static, a lot of work...

In your case you can blame whole of KDE, but it might fair to state that krunner (90MB) and konsole (66MB) and plasmashell (178MB for you, 213MB on my machine) could probably loose a lot of weight. In my case plasmashell allocates 208MB on the heap, what the heck for?

Edit: for all those crazy geniuses below: I ran `echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' before taking this screenshot, which means 600MB of RAM are occupied and cannot be removed from main system memory. Not a chance. And I didn't pay attention to the VIRT column, idiots. If I had counted it, I would have come with 5GB of RAM occupied. In short, you're all bloody stupid trolls who don't understand shit about memory management. Now f*ck off.

I'm not sure if dropping these caches help much. On my machine with btrfs I found that some processes touch each file (for locate, backups etc) and that causes a log of slabs to be allocated. And of course not be freed automatically, and needing the 'drop_caches' above. You can find these with slabtop.
                  Edit 2: For blind and retarded people, let me repeat "ZERO plasmoids running". In fact download http://files.kde.org/neon/images/neo...le-current.iso and test it yourself.

Comment

I'm trying out KDE Neon on my laptop right now. I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys in Linux but this thing booted up with no problems on my laptop even with UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

KDE looks great. Much better than Windows, but Windows always looked like shit.
                      I disagree. I think Windows 10 looks better than KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X