Mozilla's WebExtensions API Is In Good Shape For Firefox 48

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    How long to port Canvasblocker, Disconnect, and NoScript to this? A quick Startpage search shows that Canvasblocker and Disconnect are available for Chrome (thus either compatable or easily ported) but NoScript cannot be directly ported to Chrome due to not enough control given to extensions. Extensions similar to NoScript do exist for Chrome but have to encrypt the whitelist with a user provided passphrase to keep websites from snooping it as a fingerprintable item. Apparently Firefox/Xul can protect that list directly, but in Chrome it has to be encrypted to keep the fingerprinting scripts out.

Will NoScript have to do that for newer versions of Firefox or will it actually get enough capability from the extension system to operate as it does now. Compatability mode as Mozilla proposes would be an option but would slow the browser down and be deprecated from the start. Still could not possibly be as slow as allowing unrestricted, bloated scripts from overweight sites larded with 3ed party content though.
    What is the point of disconnect if Firefox provides a build-in filter based on disconnect? (check privacy.trackingprotection.enabled)
    As for NoScript, uBlock Origin can fully replace it with uMatrix providing even more features. (Moreover, uBlock has support for some Disconnect filters)

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Does Adblock Plus and NoScript work with it?
    Just as I said above, uBlock Origin can replace both with uMatrix offering even more features on domain-based blocking.

Comment

Originally posted by float View Post

What is the point of disconnect if Firefox provides a build-in filter based on disconnect? (check privacy.trackingprotection.enabled)
      As for NoScript, uBlock Origin can fully replace it with uMatrix providing even more features. (Moreover, uBlock has support for some Disconnect filters)

Just as I said above, uBlock Origin can replace both with uMatrix offering even more features on domain-based blocking.
      Firefox's current built-in works only when "private browsing" is selected, which makes granular control over cookies and history (such as per-site cookie deletion) more difficult. I use fulltime blocking and crap I see in Disconnect's "content" section (which I cannot get to block by default) ends up 127.0.0.1'ed out in /etc/hosts.
      For my purposes it would actually be best to merge the entire Disconnect blocklist with my /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 blackhole list, then shitcan using an extension as this is zero-whitelist, no-exception ever usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        Firefox's current built-in works only when "private browsing" is selected
        You are talking about privacy.trackingprotection.pbmode.enabled, while I am talking about privacy.trackingprotection.enabled

Comment

Working...
        X