Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    really:
    Hello, I am using Linux Mint 17.1 (64 bit) on lenovo w530 with bumblebee. After running an update yesterday almost every terminal emulator (gnome-terminal, tilda, guake) is completely invisible (transparent) except xterm. I've found similar cases but they are not helpful or marked as invalid: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+question/219074 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/1250379 I've attached a screenshot to show you how it looks l...

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...low_seriously/
    really, moron, text console is what you have without x

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
      Shhh don't mention the slow development cycle. It scares people. People forget that xfce is pretty much feature complete sometimes.
      I agree with some of the comments on here. Some other desktops have too much crap going on that can cause problems. Those desktops need to learn how to chill out and meditate lol.
      Agreed, XFCE is pretty feature-complete, and stable as a result. It may not be very advanced but it isn't lacking by any means. I think GNOME 3 has calmed down lately and is overall the most polished of modern DEs. Though KDE is my favorite, that just keeps getting new features and the devs aren't keeping up. The transition to Wayland and Qt5 should be their primary focus before they add anything else, but that's just my opinion.
      The only real problem with XFCE today is it's starting to show it's age (and not just visually). Most Linux applications have moved on from GTK2, so if you want to install anything modern on it, you're adding a lot of bloat. This reduces XFCE's usefulness. By porting it to GTK3, XFCE will effectively be a more light-weight, stable, and highly functional alternative to GNOME (while LXQt is the light-weight alternative to KDE).
      like the network manager menu opening properly, that bug is really old. Hmm maybe I'll go fix it.
      Huh? I've used nm in XFCE for years and never had any issues.

Comment

Funny, that bug also affects Debian.

Comment

and jesus comes.
          Lol what?
          slow, resource hungry weird desktop.Must be a windows or gnome3 developer.
          You are a very ignorant and self centered person. You're going on my ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

Q.? Is that you? I mean you're all over the place, spewing (mostly) nonsense...

under wayland, xfce will own the desktop more : no more X middleman. No, wayland isn't ready for prime time yet, we all know that. There is no technical reason xfce couldn't run under wayland.
            I'm certain he's not Q, or at least I don't believe so. They have different opinions on a number of things.

Comment

you are endless source of amusements
              you have no idea what are you posting, but you are doing it like monkey nevertheless. i guess your iq is same as your feet size in centimeters.
              1. it's an fb, which is not text, but graphics
              2. it was debian bug, i.e. you have witnessed against yourself
              3. this bug was fixed several years ago, i.e. now there is no such bugs in neither ubuntu nor debian

Comment

And all of this flaming goes on as a result of a desktop getting ported to a modern toolkit. Just...just slice your belly open, debianxfce

Comment

"due to limited developers and resources "
                  It is a richness in desktop development, that is the reason why Xfce is fast and stable. Too many cooks spoil the soup. When you have many developers, you end up to have buggy and slow ms windows,kde and gnome3.
                  I don't like using GNOME 3, but it has never been less than flawlessly stable for me and beautiful no matter what distribution I tried it on. I prefer the more familiar user interface present in Xfce, GNOME 2, MATE, and KDE, but while I can debate the user interface experience of GNOME 3 I can't argue with the engineering prowess behind it.

Comment

Gnome3 is so unstable that in debian there is version 3.14.
                    That's irrelevant. Debian has this really awful mentality that old=stable, and that just simply isn't true. Their release cycles seem completely arbitrary. I have more luck with stability on Arch Linux than I have ever had with Debian. That says a lot considering Arch uses newer packages than Debian sid. The only time an Arch setup of mine really failed was because of a RAID issue. I'm not hating Debian here, I'm using it right now (along with XFCE) but claiming gnome 3 is unstable because debian uses an outdated version is just ridiculous. I'm willing to bet that there are more frequent errors in 3.14 than there are in 3.18.

Comment

Why do you people keep engaging the trolls?

Comment

Working...
                      X