LibreELEC Takes Flight As OpenELEC Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post

I agree it looks weird. Although ELEC is not a word, so there's that.
    Apparently, it's still an abbreviation: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elec

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Apparently, it's still an abbreviation: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elec
      Getting technical are we? Then, I should point out that since it's all caps when used in Open/LibreELEC it's actually an acronym. Although both acronyms and abbreviations are still words I should have said that ELEC is not an English name... damn it.

Comment

Originally posted by hochopeper View Post

Don't think so.

xbox media centre -> xbmc -> kodi were just rebranding afaik. I don't think there was any mythTV fork in that.

I can only see one fork in this case.
        That's not nearly so ridiculous
        Thanks for the correction!

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

AFAIR XBMC was a merger between Xbox media player and an other video player for the first Xbox. It gave birth to XBox Media Center, then just XBMC, then kodi.
        And I saw an enormous rise in adoption since the last renaming.

Prefixing things with libre is a bit strange, but it doesn't bother me that much (full disclosure: I'm French too). I just often ship the "e" in libre, effectively pronouncing it "libroffice" or "librelec". That way,I don't find it shocking. It's a bit more difficult with consomns like libreboot, for which I definitely pronounce the " e".

As for the fork itself, it's quite a good thing IMO, as the development process always seemed a bit obscure to me. Oh, and I like this prefix because it often (if not always) means that the result ends up being "freer" than just open source.

Thanks for the details regarding development history.

Dropping the "e" certainly makes the names a bit shorter but, imho, blurs the intent of the prefix.
        I also agree with you regarding the preferred use of libre to oss.
        Last edited by liam; 13 April 2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Developer choosing to prefix their projects with "Libre" should be shot. It just sounds weird and it doesn't roll of the tongue.
          I find your inability to handle a couple of consecutive consonants amusing.

source: I'm a Slavic language speaker.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          That text wasn't from me but a reader.
          Then maybe you should tweak this part ?:
          Written by Michael Larabel in Multimedia on 12 April 2016 at 07:46 AM EDT.
          Or note the author in the article body
          (like they used to do on Slashdot: "post author", is the actual *editor*. Actual *author* is mentioned in a lead-in sentence "{name} writes:" )

Comment

Working...
          X