NetworkManager 1.2 Is Nearing Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    If you have problems with networkmanager, install Wicd and remove networkmanager and disable networking.service. With Wicd applet you have full control to the network interface, gnome networkmanager applet depends on notifications from lower software layers and if you have problems there you have a non working network connection.
    if you have problems with making network connection work, stop breaking your system. use distro-default networkmanager on sane distro instead of debian+xfce+wicd

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      if you have problems with making network connection work, stop breaking your system. use distro-default networkmanager on sane distro instead of debian+xfce+wicd
      Actually, I've played with wicd for a while and it was nice. But wicd being nice does not make network manager bad.

Comment

It just badly coded, wicd daemon starts many times faster.
        It starts faster for you. In this thread nobody else said nm takes almost a second to start. If it's not a widespread issue, you can't infer it's bad code.
        I'm not even seeing reports of poor performance from network-manager if I google the problem (though, I admit, that doesn't mean nm handles all card equally well).

Also, just to rub it in your face, here's what systemd says today: "72ms NetworkManager.service". How much faster is Wicd again?

Comment

It is the gnome stuff that breaks debian, networkmanager and pulseaudio should not exists in debian, because using them ruins the stable image of debian.
          if it works for everyone except you, i have bad news for you. the problem is in your crooked hands

Comment

Imperium strikes back, be welcome:
            Since upgrading from 14.10 to 15.04 a few days ago the boot time, grub OS screen to login screen, has increased from 12 seconds to about 40. This is my systemd-analyze critical-chain output: The t...

"
            24.209s NetworkManager-wait-online.service"
            idiotium strikes back
            it is not networkmanager, it is a tool which sleeps until network comes online

Comment

Be the slowness with redhat software.

systemd-analyze blame 22.046s NetworkManager.service What ever gnome/redhat component, it is slow and buggy.
              Seriously? A bug closed two years ago? That's all you've got?

Comment

Canonical, we have a problem.
                Directly after boot the network connections are not working. I am connected and have an IP address, but I cannot establish a connection with any Internet server. I have the impression it is related to thee DNS lookup, which waits forever for a result. Cycling the connection (disconnect->reconnect) seems to fix the problem for some time. I am reporting this against network-manager, but I am not sure if it is directly in network manager or if it is systemd related. With 14.10 everything wo...

Pappy137 (txcrittr) wrote on 2016-03-04: network-manager starts but the network is disabled
                Ok, you lost me. So are you trying to argue that network manager is slow to start while wicd is fast? Or that network manager has bugs and wicd doesn't?

Comment

Be the slowness with redhat software.

systemd-analyze blame 22.046s NetworkManager.service What ever gnome/redhat component, it is slow and buggy.
                  it is funny that you show huge list of closed critical bugs in xfce as evidence of superiority of xfce, but one closed packaging bug in one distro as evidence of inferiority of networkmanager.

Comment

Working...
                  X