No announcement yet.

BitTorrent's Sync Now Offers Official Linux Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd maybe use BTSync if their Linux versions had a desktop GUI, instead of the web thing.

Comment

I ditched dropbox too, but in favour of unison.
      Star topology with a cheap raspberry pi in the center; works really good since a year so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        I'd maybe use BTSync if their Linux versions had a desktop GUI, instead of the web thing.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

By the way Syncthing does not work across NATs where BtSync does work. Its not all nice and stuff that Syncthing.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
            I ditched dropbox too, but in favour of unison.
            Star topology with a cheap raspberry pi in the center; works really good since a year so far.
            nice, low-end hardware at the center of the star. That's a single point of failure man.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

nice, low-end hardware at the center of the star. That's a single point of failure man.
              Yeah, right, but if the pi broke up, i've the same copy replicated on multiple machines.
              It is just a matter of spending a little money to buy another; i repeat, it works since one year; even if it would break once per year, i'll stay fine.
              If my data sync was really critical (it is not) i'd buy another redoundant pi ready to be swapped.
              Consider power consumption in the equation too; last year pi (B+) costed me about 50Wh (and in italy electric bill is very expansive).

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                Yeah, right, but if the pi broke up, i've the same copy replicated on multiple machines.
                It is just a matter of spending a little money to buy another; i repeat, it works since one year; even if it would break once per year, i'll stay fine.
                If my data sync was really critical (it is not) i'd buy another redoundant pi ready to be swapped.
                At least you know it's not optimal. I suspected you didn't really need 99.999% uptime in your setup.

Consider power consumption in the equation too; last year pi (B+) costed me about 50Wh (and in italy electric bill is very expansive).
                I think your calcs are way off. A headless and diskless raspi draws around 2.5 watts, which over a year 24/7 it means 21900Wh.
                At a price of 0.16 euro per kwh (like in italy, please correct me if the figures here are bogus http://www.autorita.energia.it/it/el.../prezzirif.htm ) it is around 3.5 euros per year.
                Of course assuming 24/7 operation, which isn't always the case.
                I don't know how much power draw has the drive you connected to it, but as a matter of comparison:

my debianized nsa325v2 dual bay NAS idles at something like 12 watts (mostly due to 2 hard drives), but has gigabit eth, two sata drives, enough processor to saturate the gigabit ethernet if needed.

that's 105120Wh over a year, at the same pricing as above it's around 16 euro per year.

I mean, ok, a raspi draws less, but hey. My nas isn't breaking the bank either.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I think your calcs are way off. A headless and diskless raspi draws around 2.5 watts, which over a year 24/7 it means 21900Wh.
                  Yes, yes, i don't know why i wrote 50Wh, what were i'm thinking about.
                  It idles at 1.6W (while keeping the external disk in standby, and counting the power wasted by the psu too) so 2.5Wh is a resonable average over the year.
                  An higher consumption wouldn't be a problem either, but i like the idea to have a versatile system always available for pratically no additional cost, really.

Comment

Working...
                  X