Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.20's Feature Freeze Is Next Week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME 3.20's Feature Freeze Is Next Week

    Phoronix: GNOME 3.20's Feature Freeze Is Next Week

    Next week marks GNOME 3.20's feature freeze followed by the GNOME 3.20 (v3.19.90) beta release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...9.90-Next-Week

  • #2
    im looking forward to this release more than previous ones, an im 100% sure Wayland WILL NOT be default in F24 either.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      im looking forward to this release more than previous ones, an im 100% sure Wayland WILL NOT be default in F24 either.
      Yeah it seems to be going that way, but gnome 3.20 knocks out a few other 'blockers' for day to day usage. I think we're down to like 3 or 4 blockers for Fedora to call it the default, aren't we?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ericg View Post

        Yeah it seems to be going that way, but gnome 3.20 knocks out a few other 'blockers' for day to day usage. I think we're down to like 3 or 4 blockers for Fedora to call it the default, aren't we?
        Yes. FWIW, Wayland is already default in Rawhide and should work fine for plenty of people.

        https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefault

        There are some major ones including primary selection similar to Xorg, remote desktop etc which work has started but isn't complete yet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ericg View Post

          Yeah it seems to be going that way, but gnome 3.20 knocks out a few other 'blockers' for day to day usage. I think we're down to like 3 or 4 blockers for Fedora to call it the default, aren't we?
          going by this, im unsure if Rahul is right? https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...UNAEIVH5SJJXZ/ . Rahul, that Link you posted was last updated Last updated: 2015-11-10 , an as i said in another Thread, i did try a latest Workstation LiveDvD , it wasnt using Wayland by Default AFAICT , Wayland itself might be fine to use, but XWayland isnt ready

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Anvil View Post

            going by this, im unsure if Rahul is right? https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...UNAEIVH5SJJXZ/ . Rahul, that Link you posted was last updated Last updated: 2015-11-10 , an as i said in another Thread, i did try a latest Workstation LiveDvD , it wasnt using Wayland by Default AFAICT , Wayland itself might be fine to use, but XWayland isnt ready
            I wasn't talking about any livedvd. I was talking about Rawhide. No crashes or display issues in my experience. The wiki page status is as current. So unless you have a specific problem with Wayand or XWayland that isn't listed already in the wiki, I am not what you consider ready.

            Comment


            • #7
              Rahul

              perhaps you should look at this. https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fe...15.00.log.html . however there is another Meeting on the 17th where mclasen an others will be present .to decide whether it remains Default or no

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                Rahul

                perhaps you should look at this. https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fe...15.00.log.html . however there is another Meeting on the 17th where mclasen an others will be present .to decide whether it remains Default or no
                I am on the mailing list and I follow all the relevant discussions closely. So let me ask again, what did you mean when you said XWayland is not ready?

                Comment


                • #9
                  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wayland_features . should give you a better indication of where things stand


                  15:17:22 <mcatanzaro> #link https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wayland_features 15:18:13 <mcatanzaro> No input methods, no on-screen keyboard look like blockers. 15:18:19 <rdieter> I guess that may be a good step 0: verify correctness of that wiki page 15:18:28 <rdieter> if it is, the decision looks easy (not ready) 15:18:55 <rdieter> or just assume the page is accurate unless proven otherwise 15:19:29 <mcatanzaro> That list of missing features is quite large. 15:21:48 <mcatanzaro> Looks like mclasen has been editing the page quite recently, so I think it's mostly accurate. 15:23:49 <mcatanzaro> Anyway, feature freeze for 3.20 is this Monday, so I think it's safe to assume the final state of this list for F24 is not going to be much different. I am inclined to say this is a no-go, any objections? 15:25:13 <mcatanzaro> Since we don't have a quorum, this would not be any final decision made today, but just a recommendation. 15:25:15 <otaylor> mcatanzaro: That's probably the right decision, but I'm not really comfortable voting on this with limited people present

                  15:27:43 <mcatanzaro> At one point, I believe we also represented that we would only switch to Wayland by default once the previous Fedora release had fully-functioning Wayland, and that's clearly not the case in F23. (I'm not sure that's necessarily a good requirement, though.)
                  perhaps im mistaken about XWayland
                  Last edited by Anvil; 12 February 2016, 01:57 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I use Wayland by default since 3.18 and I have only 1 annoying problem. Sometimes, the mouse pointer disappear inside windows and I'm forced to close all windows

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X