KDE Neon Is Now Live: Providing Bleeding-Edge KDE Packages For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

I doubt it, because if that was the case, they'd be using OBS, not an apt repository.
    I'm not pretending to read their minds, but is it possible it is in an apt repo because it started with Kubuntu? And sometime in the future it will move to obs?
    Because teams need to grow first, you can't start targeting (and more importantly supporting) several OSes all of a sudden.

Comment

Directions for installation on the NEON website are wrong in some parts and more complex than needed in other ones.

1. Traditional way to download and install a repository authentication key is "wget -q -O - 'http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/public.key' | sudo apt-key add -" all in one line with no temporary file left behind.

2. The "sudo apt update" is to by typed on a new command line, not on the same one as apt-add-repository

3. The command "sudo apt install neon-desktop" didn't pull all the needed packages as I already have Kubuntu 15.10, all the needed packages were kept on hold to avoid incoherencies. I had to run more than once "apt-get -y install" with those held back packages (the package list was too long), then run "apt-get upgrade" and finally the usual "apt-get -y autoremove" and "apt-get -y clean" in order to try to get a "clean" upgrade.

So, it's not been a no-brainer, yet not rocket science. But for a brand new project, better (and tested) documentation and procedures are welcome.

Comment

Would you copy and paste that into a bug report? (In https://bugs.kde.org/ choosing Neon as the product?)

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
          Would you copy and paste that into a bug report? (In https://bugs.kde.org/ choosing Neon as the product?)
          Done: 358841

Comment

That was FAST!

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              … very long text…
              Doesnt sound this like the approach ubuntu is going with the snappy-packages and ubuntu core?

Comment

Surely the NEON installation screwed up my Kubuntu 15.10 workstation in 5 minutes. I had to reinstall everything.
                I will wait for a better solution, as KDE in 15.10 is unstable anyway. Back to 14.04.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  The problem with Kubuntu has always been the Ubuntu policy of freezing the world every release.
                  I actually see also a second problem. Fragmentation. Too many desktops doing more or less the same (and maybe also too many applications).
                  So the resources (not just human) are also fragmented and, unavoidably, quality is lower, when not too low.
                  This is why, I presume, Ubuntu board freezes the whole universe from release to release.
                  A rolling release would be better, but the resources needed for QA are scarce, as also distributions are too many.
                  But this is the way it is ...

Comment

Working...
                  X