KDE / Qt Fiber Web Browser To Take The Reasonable Approach To Dealing With Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    I think Ken Vermette has a dog in this fight.
    Anyway the best approach to ads is the new Google Phone Service.
    Just in case people don't know this, theonion is a parody site. But I did like that video, it was pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Did you think of notifying me about any unresponsive CDNs so I can complain to my ad networks to get it fixed/changed, etc?
      Sure, a.tribalfusion.com is between unresponsive to very slow ATM.

Comment

Ads, yes. Tracking, no. I use PrivacyBadger. Before that I used Ghostery, but it's proprietary.

(Edit) Though tracking is almost impossible to escape. If open source technology like Evercookie exists ( http://samy.pl/evercookie/ ) you can bet the proprietary ad networks with billions of dollars at stake have something equally good or better.

Comment

What graphical engine uses this browser currently?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            What graphical engine uses this browser currently?
            If I understand your question, the plan is for Fiber to use the Chromium Embedded Framework.

Comment

Because you can never shill enough Fifth's ad policy is the same as Opera's was: the browser has built-in black- and whitelisting. No lists are shipped, what the users do is up to them. There may be some convenient lists downloadable somewhere, or you can copy one from your old Opera install if you have a customized one.

Comment

Originally posted by kurros View Post
                If I understand your question, the plan is for Fiber to use the Chromium Embedded Framework.
                I don't talk about framework but about graphic engine....what it uses? blink, qtwebengine webkit, geko or servo or other one?

Comment

It seems like the ads are downloaded unencrypted, so if you view the site over HTTPS the ads are blocked unless you manually enable unsecure content (at least in Firefox and Chrome).

Also, I found this ad from Fujitsu (https://imgur.com/zYMwInG), which covers the content, and automatically plays a Youtube video (even if it's in the background). When I first opened the page it just played the audio, without the video, and without any indication of where the audio was coming from.

Comment

I don't talk about framework but about graphic engine....what it uses? blink, qtwebengine webkit, geko or servo or other one?
                    It will use Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF). Copying from wikipedia: "(CEF) is an open source framework for embedding a web browser engine based on the Chromium core ... and provides the infrastructure developers need to quickly add HTML rendering"

Comment

It can use any layout engine supported by CEF. Currently this is Blink, but it will also include Servo.

Comment

Working...
                      X