Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.18 Release Candidate Arrives

Phoronix: GNOME 3.18 Release Candidate Arrives

Frederic Peters announced GNOME 3.17.92 this morning, a.k.a. the release candidate to GNOME 3.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm delighted to try them out when it's in Arch repository. But first I do need TopIcons extension. Without it, the legacy system tray icons show up over the clock in the bottom left corner of my desktop. And Dash-to-Dock is my favorite extension by far.

Comment

I compiled core packages for 3.17.91 (that was a real hore) to try it out.
      Looks like they finally fixed gradual global slowdown so you don't have to Alt+F2+r every 15 min. And thats the only positive thing I noticed.
      However GDM now acts really retarded -- it won't load anything after login unless I reconnect one of my monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        I'm delighted to try them out when it's in Arch repository. But first I do need TopIcons extension. Without it, the legacy system tray icons show up over the clock in the bottom left corner of my desktop. And Dash-to-Dock is my favorite extension by far.
        +1 on topicons. That should be embedded into GNOME, not even an extension, it's that functional!

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post

+1 on topicons. That should be embedded into GNOME, not even an extension, it's that functional!
          Yeah. One funny thing about the legacy system tray in the lower left corner of the screen is when I hover over the corner of the screen, an arrow willl go:
          left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right

It's so fast, even though I'm not moving the mouse.

Who ever programmed that system tray to call it "legacy" needs to have their heads examined.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post

+100! The system tray icons on the bottom left look completely out of place.

Comment

Yea the system tray thing is immensely stupid, there's so much free space available on the top bar and the few pixels are absolutely OCD rage provocing.

Comment

Working...
              X