Features To Hopefully Look Forward To In GNOME 3.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I have been out of the loop with Gnome for a while (to the point I can barely make my way through Gnome3). I'm thinking of installing a Gnome-based distro just so that I can check things out, but I don't know which one does the best job integrating Gnome. I have my eyes on Fedora (mostly because of my developer background), but are there better choices?
    I tried Gnome again after testing all sorts of environments and distros... I'm using Antergos (http://antergos.com), the desktop is very polished and everything works pretty smooth, so I think I've finally settled for the perfect distro/desktop combination for me.

Comment

Seems like the one feature I'm most interested in is getting pushed back even further (for first release in 3.16).
      Touch Pad gestures. Sometimes I have to pickup the computer to go and show something and in those cases touch pad gestures are very nice and the only feature I miss from OSX.

Comment

"Some other items to look out for that I've found road-mapped so far include: "

You might want to remove "found." I read it about 5 times already. Or how about this:

"For the next six months, some other items to look out for include: "

Okay, here's another one:

"Potentially landing the GTK+ Scene Graph! The GSK might finally happen"

GSK? Graph Scene Kit? Or the GNOME Tool Kit? Or GTK? Or Scene Graph?

"The Nautilus roadmap has implementing a selection mode, implementing action bars"

Has or is?
        Implementing or implemented?

"GNOME Maps wants basic editing of OpenStreetMap data..."

"Wants?" "GNOME Maps will have basic editing of OpenStreetMap data..." Yeah, that makes sense.

Michael, you really rushed out your article.

Ugh... Journalists do not want to proofread anymore.
        Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 04 September 2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I have been out of the loop with Gnome for a while (to the point I can barely make my way through Gnome3). I'm thinking of installing a Gnome-based distro just so that I can check things out, but I don't know which one does the best job integrating Gnome. I have my eyes on Fedora (mostly because of my developer background), but are there better choices?

I prefer openSUSE Gnome edition to Fedora for a variety of reasons that aren't worth getting into right now. But if you're main goal is just to evaluate Gnome3 your best bet is probably Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I am mostly interested in improvements to the Wayland backend in GTK.
            Yep, this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Fedora Workstation + extensions is probably your best bet for a good experience. For a more "traditional" experience, I recommend

Dash To Dock
              Applications Menu
              Places Status Menu
              And enable the Minimize / Maximize buttons in gnome-tweak-tool.
              Lets not forget GNOME Classic session that includes all above but Dash to Dock and gnome-tweak-tool.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                Snip...

Okay, here's another one:

"Potentially landing the GTK+ Scene Graph! The GSK might finally happen"

GSK? Graph Scene Kit? Or the GNOME Tool Kit? Or GTK? Or Scene Graph?

Snip...
                GSK stands for GTK+ Scene Graph Kit. The lack of Kit on the previous sentence makes the GSK acronym confusing for those who don't know it.

Comment

GTK Scene Graph Kit...

Isn't that more of GSGK?

Comment

Gnome 3.18 is great.

However, for reasons beyond my comprehension for Gnome 3.x to service me well it requires extensions.

Dash to Dock

Clipboard Indicator

Volume Mixer

and Panther Launcher
                    A fork from Slingshot Launcher, which doesn't depend on Gala, Granite or other libraries. It also has an applet for Gnome Flashback and an extension for Gnome Shell. - rastersoft/panther_launcher

With these extensions Gnome Shell services my workflow very well. Without them it's a hot mess imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X