Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 15.1 "Isengard" Officially Released

Phoronix: Kodi 15.1 "Isengard" Officially Released

For users of Kodi 15 "Isengard", it's now time to upgrade to the 15.1 maintenance release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

how Kodi performs when files reside on external nas? cheers

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Hi,

Never tried a "real NAS" but I've played several audio tracks from my phone (while in wireless connection) on ( an older version of) KODI and it went nice even if the phone wasn't active (display turned OFF). On Phone i have the Yatse companion / remote, not the official KODI companion. While the whole play process is a bit not so friendly (due Yatse's interface) i confirm the audio play quality is fine. Never tried video files though.

I'll try to setup a connection with the NAS i have on my home network (a simple hard drive attached to the Tomato powered router) and see how's behaving. Additionally i will try to play video files on KODI from my tablet (via Yatse) and see the performances

Best,
      n.

Comment

External NAS?

I have a Kodi reciever (Raspberry Pi 2 B+ with Arch Linux ARM currently) on my network hooked to a switch that's hooked into another switch that has a Seagate NAS on it. It works.

As to whether it works without problem, I don't know. I had some weird issue for a few days where PseudoTV Live would refuse to create channels on OpenELEC, ALARM, and Xbian. Up until now, I was connecting to the NAS via Kodi's interface. Ended up putting the NAS on fstab, and PTVL works fine now. Prior to a few days ago, using Kodi's interface was fine. Only thing that changed of significance in that small timeframe was updated router firmware, and NAS firmware. Kodi's and PTVL's logs, as well as the developer didn't really reveal anything helpful at all, so I have no idea what really caused the problem.

Comment

I use freeNAS 4x3TB in RAID Z2 and I have no issue sideloading Kodi 15.x on my Amazon FireTV stick and play 1080p or even blu-ray quality videos off of my NAS without much issues. Mostly it can have issues if someone is taxing the NAS like a backup is running. I am on gigabit LAN and my FireTV stick is running on 5GHz 802.11n wifi.

Comment

All my media files are NFS mounted from a file server in the basement. Performs brilliantly, even over 54 Mb "G" wifi. Remember, even if a movie file is 2 TB in size, it's being streamed over a period of two hours. So the actual bandwidth requirements are small, 1 Mb/s is sufficient.

Comment

Working...
            X