No announcement yet.

Which distro do you run on your laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which distro do you run on your laptop?

This forum seems kind of lonely, so let's get some conversations going. I currently run the same distro on my laptop as I do my desktop, that being Gentoo 2006.0. I used to run SuSE 9.0 until 10.0 and simply didn't work on my Dell Inspiron 5150. Overall though, Gentoo is obviously quite scalable, so I don't need half the junk SuSE throws in.

What does everyone else use?

I run Gentoo on mine as well. When I first got the laptop I needed to patch the kernel etc to get sound and acpi working right and I found Gentoo to be the easiest for that. Now it works in all the distros that I have tried, but I have become very accustomed to Gentoo. Lately the time necessary to update that computer has become a little bit of an annoyance. I may switch to Ubuntu when Eft is released. For now Gentoo will stay on it though and I have no plans of taking Gentoo off my desktop any time soon.

Comment

Currently: Fedora Core. Previously: Ubuntu, SuSE, Gentoo.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Running Slackware 10.2 on an old 450MHz laptop. The cdrom fails randomly and will stall during reading in longer periods, so I had to install the absolute minimum of the distro and fetch the rest of the packages through the network after the cd installation.

Comment

I put Ubuntu and Fedora 4 on my T23 when I still had it.

Comment

I'm running PClinuxOS on my Dell Latitude c610. Works great.

Comment

Just ordered up a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 for Linux testing, plan on running Fedora Core 5 and Rawhide on the beast.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

First post
                I use Ubuntu on an Acer Travelmate. Love it, especially since the Dapper upgrade. Everything just works, feels very polished.

Oddly enough, I don't really like using Ubuntu on my desktop PC. I'm running Arch right now, and quite enjoying it. I used to like Gentoo a lot though, until updating portage database began taking half an hour......

Comment

We use SuSE at the office on various IBM & Lenovo ThinkPads (A21p, A31p, X31, X40). Recently got 2 X60 that we need to install SuSE 10 on them.

Comment

Gentoo, Mandriva

I run Gentoo Linux on my HP Compaq nx6125 Turion 64 laptop. I also have Mandriva 2007 alpha installed to help testing it and reporting bugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X