Improvements On The Way For GNOME's Nautilus File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimpy View Post

In firefox you hold Alt to toggle between the new menu and the old menu.
    Right but Nautilus doesnt have a menu bar anymore. Most of the GNOME programs just have gear style menus at this point. I don't know if those new menus are keyboard accessible easily but adding a shortcut could be an RFE if you want to file it in GNOME Bugzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      Care to explain how simplified can be bloated in this case? How tight integration with GTK+ apps is a bad think knowing Nautilus is a GTK app itself?
      Some power users can work on the code hence the existence of Nemo file manager that started as Nautilus folk.
      Extensions are made to extend the functionality of an application as long someone is willing to maintain.
      I'd guess he's referring to pcmanfm's smaller footprint but MUCH faster walking of large directories.
      The later I actually care about and is something I've not heard the nautilus developers discuss as a problem.

Comment

wait, nautilus doesn't even have file preview?
        And people are using that crap?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          "Nautilus is the most popular file manager", -- by delusional developer from that blog post.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            Seriously? If you don't know, search for it. A preview has existed for quite a long time.

Comment

GNOME should have forked their entire project, given it a new name, before they started down this path. That would have been the proper thing to do IMO. Looking at those mockups, they aren't terrible compared to some mobile UIs (or Win8), but it's clearly little resembling what GNOME once was. There's probably a place for it somewhere, but not in the existing desktop user base (which is shrinking quickly I gather). Just look at Win8 what forcing a new UI on non-accepting users did, and they had the advantage of vendor lock-in. Same with Ubuntu and Unity. Not looking good for GNOME...

Comment

Many people I know currently use Nautilus / Gnome Files. I've tried all the other File Managers and while they make more complex actions more accessible they very much lack a simplistic UI design - I'm looking at you Dolphin & Amarok o___o

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                Gnome song
                Sing along with me...

Dumbing down, dumbing down...
                everyone loves dumbing down....

Dumbing down, dumbing down...
                it's the only way to live...
                This quote is funny because it's not just limited to only Gnome, but computing in general. This coming generation of computer users are getting dumber and dumber and they like it that way - OSX + iOS, Android, and Windows 8 are great examples of trying to appeal to humans with less than 4 brain-cells - Football fanatics who don't know the difference between Wifi and Internet.

This is why I love this reasoning that's part of "The Arch Way"
                "Arch Linux developers and users believe that trying to hide the complexities of a system actually results in an even more complex system, and is therefore to be avoided."

Comment

Working...
                X