No announcement yet.

Improvements On The Way For GNOME's Nautilus File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm already allergic at the overused word "exciting". Hardly any news passes by without being labelled as exciting.

Comment

People still use GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I think the problem is people shouldn't have to do that. Nautilus used to be a very powerful file browser without having to add any extensions. Now it's simplified to the point of being inconvenient for power-users while remaining more bloated than pcmanfm. Right now the only thing nautilus has going for it is tight integration with GNOME and other GTK+ apps, which to some could actually be considered a bad thing.
        Care to explain how simplified can be bloated in this case? How tight integration with GTK+ apps is a bad think knowing Nautilus is a GTK app itself?
        Some power users can work on the code hence the existence of Nemo file manager that started as Nautilus folk.
        Extensions are made to extend the functionality of an application as long someone is willing to maintain.

Comment

Solution: hide the menu like web browsers already do

I like Gnome, it's really the only DE that is innovating the desktop, but Nautilous is main reason why I haven't switched from Xfce. So why don't they just do what web browsers have been doing forever: JUST HIDE THE MENU!

(And no I won't be making an extension for functionality that has been removed.)

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
            I like Gnome, it's really the only DE that is innovating the desktop, but Nautilous is main reason why I haven't switched from Xfce. So why don't they just do what web browsers have been doing forever: JUST HIDE THE MENU!

(And no I won't be making an extension for functionality that has been removed.)
            Not sure what you mean but nautilus doesn't show any menu by default.

Comment

Gnome song

Sing along with me...

Dumbing down, dumbing down...
              everyone loves dumbing down....

Dumbing down, dumbing down...
              it's the only way to live...

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                Why don't you just use GNOME with Thunar? That's how I do it ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  Why don't you just use GNOME with Thunar? That's how I do it ...

Thumar is great, but I guess I'm just sucker for shiny, new, well integrated desktop environments.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Not sure what you mean but nautilus doesn't show any menu by default.

Yea I guess I wasn't very clear, but this is what I meant:

Before:

After:

In firefox you hold Alt to toggle between the new menu and the old menu.

Comment

Oops messed up on the pictures, here they are:

Comment

Working...
                      X