Midori 0.5.10 Browser Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    If you are loading "comments by disqus" you are not only bogging down your browser, you are being tracked across every website that uses disqus for comment management. I keep them blocked at all times and have never once unblocked them, and I never will. Treat such websites as not having a comment system, your browser and your privacy will thank you.
    I don't always use disqus, but when I do, I use it for its main purpose.

Comment

I thought comments WAS their main purpose

Originally posted by magika View Post
      I don't always use disqus, but when I do, I use it for its main purpose.
      I thought comments WAS their main purpose-or at least their main feature shown to web users. To their investors their "main purpose" could well be tracking and data sale, should be presumed so until proven otherwise. With many "free" online services you are considered the product, advertisers are the paying customers.

At any rate, I regard any one service widely used across many websites to be dangerous, as it can get a large part of your surfing history in a single place.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
        Memory is not the problem, but runtime performance (like javascript) and features (like MSE) are. I install it preiodically but there is still no proper HTML5 support like soundcloud, and it dies on heavy scripted sites like disqus page with 300 posts.
        However Chrome with 4 windows 50 tabs each is snappy and feature full.
        And I use Midori when I want proxy :P
        Just wanted to point out a few things:
        1. Firefox has had "don't load new tabs until selected" as an option forever (for memory purposes). Not a reply to you, but to the other guy...
        2. Both Firefox and Chrome have large parts (Firefox being almost 90%) written in JavaScript. The "runtime performance" is technically the same between them on a single site if you use e10s on Firefox (that splits content from the browser itself) so that the JavaScript engines can focus on the page itself. Chrome seems to be faster in multi-tab setups because Firefox uses a single JS process for all content tabs, while chrome spins up a new one for each tab.
        This is the long way of saying: if Firefox went the multi-process route like Chrome, it'd be just as fast (if not a little faster in some scenarios).
        3. Firefox is barely behind Chrome when it comes to HTML5. Especially not in the audio section of it (Firefox implemented most of the Web Audio API first). If soundcloud doesn't support Firefox, it's because Google paid them not to (as they do with many sites that say "Your browser isn't advanced enough") or because they're using Chrome-specific HTML5 extensions (remember the days of IE supremacy? We're back to that with Google :P )

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          does it still run slick even with multiple tabs open or at that stage it eats same ram as firefox or chromium?

Check my older results with Midori 0.5.8. Its RAM use was greatly better than Firefox.

Comment

Just tried it....

I am impressed by the load time of pages, they seem to load instantly on Midori. The same on Chrome and Firefox are loading in a few seconds...

Is there a trick behind this ? If RAM usage is good I may switch to it as there is no graphical glitch atm.

By the way 1.1 MB... omg it can hold on a Floppy Disk XD

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              If you are loading "comments by disqus" you are not only bogging down your browser, you are being tracked across every website that uses disqus for comment management. I keep them blocked at all times and have never once unblocked them, and I never will. Treat such websites as not having a comment system, your browser and your privacy will thank you.
              This. Disqus is a cancer upon our World Wide Web. Many sites that would otherwise be fast and beautiful are ruined because the operator wants to offload a little bit of server workload in exchange for foisting upon their users a javascript turd that will noticably burn way too many clock cycles for any pretend utility it provides.

I don't normally run any javascript, but when I do Disqus stays on the perma-blacklist with Facebook and Goole Analytics. It is enough of a blight to turn me away from including a site in an ad buy. Angular.js and paywalls are the only other sins that singlehandedly break ad buys for me.

Back to Midori. It's a nice toy browser and great on OpenBSD. I just wish they would work on making their HTTP/S support actually secure. Midori uses the incredibly fast C version of webkit, and it has so many other things I like. The developer's historical lazy attitude to HTTP/S handling though is disturbing when they do so many other things right.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                If soundcloud doesn't support Firefox, it's because Google paid them not to
                Whoa, whoa whoa.
                You can listen to Soundcloud on Firefox without Flash (http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/...without-flash-), but only on stable.
                Fucking browser sniffing (I use Nightly, where it doesn't work) ... I sent a message to their support team a few days ago, but haven't got a response ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  Whoa, whoa whoa.
                  You can listen to Soundcloud on Firefox without Flash (http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/...without-flash-), but only on stable.
                  Fucking browser sniffing (I use Nightly, where it doesn't work) ... I sent a message to their support team a few days ago, but haven't got a response ...
                  Ah, I don't use Soundcloud. I also use nightly, so I wouldn't have known haha.
                  (There was more to that sentence though)

Comment

Working...
                  X