Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.16 Release Candidate Arrives

Phoronix: GNOME 3.16 Release Candidate Arrives

Frederic Peters on the behalf of the GNOME release team announced the GNOME 3.15.92 release today, which serves as the release candidate ahead of the GNOME 3.16 official release at month's end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What did they break this time? Themes probably.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
      IIRC, the window theme is no longer a separate metacity theme, so if a theme doesn't already have the code for client-side decorations, they might not theme titlebars correctly. Aside from that, they've moved everything over to CSS, which shouldn't really be a problem for anyone who has made a theme in the past couple of years.

It looks like they've mostly just fixed and polished things for this release, although that whole 'dropping gtkthemingengine' thing caused Hugo some trouble for oxygen-gtk (and, presumably, breeze-gtk if that's even feasible at this point). Then again, I think they decided to delay that until a better solution came up, so it may not be an issue until September.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
        I've tried Fedora 22 Alpha with some 3.14 themes and they were looking all right. Generally 3.16 feels great but I wonder why the icons in Nautilus are so big ...

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
          I've tried Fedora 22 Alpha with some 3.14 themes and they were looking all right. Generally 3.16 feels great but I wonder why the icons in Nautilus are so big ...
          You can change the default zoom level to "small" in Nautilus preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            You can change the default zoom level to "small" in Nautilus preferences.
            They are too big anyway because there are only 3 levels of zoom in opposite to 3.14 which has 7 levels. Currently I'm using one level smaller than "small" in 3.16. It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice if they left that option for people with low resolution displays.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
              Yep they complety crippled Nautilus. Icon view has just three stages of zoom with lowest using icons 32x32 or larger. First compact view now this. Nautilus maintainer or whoever doing this shit is probably just a deranged person.

And new theme is buggy too... Like text getting under selection rectangle or window maximize-minimize menus getting stuck on the screen and forcing you to restart shell.

Oh and btw 'open with...' dialog still broken and not shows all your apps and doesnt accept custom commands. Still not fixed from 3.14.
              Last edited by magika; 19 March 2015, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I intend to revive my ARCH installation. Does anyone know when G 3.16 is going to land in Arch? Last time I remember (3.14?) it took several weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  I intend to revive my ARCH installation. Does anyone know when G 3.16 is going to land in Arch? Last time I remember (3.14?) it took several weeks.
                  3.15.9x (current 3.16) is already in [gnome-unstable]

Comment

I suppose, but I meant a stable release.

Comment

Working...
                    X