Mozilla Thunderbird Adoption Climbs, Thunderbird 38 In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    If only the search function would be as good in Evolution as it is in Thunderbird...
    If evolution would not use gtk ...

Comment

I use kmail just because I like the day to day UX better than tabs, but I put almost everyone I know on Thunderbird.

Comment

Aside from having a consistent interface among all platforms and email addresses, I really never understood the purpose behind installed email clients. They were very practical back in the dialup times, because bandwidth was scarce and if you used the phone line for making calls, you wanted to access messages while offline. Today, I find email clients to be a real burden. In the office I work at, many people use Outlook Express, because it's familiar to them (unlike the webmail) even though it CONSTANTLY gives them problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
          "Convenience" and "online clients" in one sentence. Oh dear. That said, I loathe those online clients - GMail, Axigen, etc. - none of them comes even close to a decent desktop client.
          Haha, no. Gmail is miles better than any desktop client. It is pathetic really.

Comment

Michael you should try Trojita.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I have to keep emails and correspondence for legal reasons, so I love thunderbird's convenient archiving and storing abilities as I have multiple GB's of emails I have to store every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                If only the search function would be as good in Evolution as it is in Thunderbird...
                Evolution needs better carddav support. The virtual folders are fantastic, but because of carddav I use Kontact.

Comment

I use Thunderbird to read my emails. When I was using GNOME I was using Evolution and I think that's also good email client. Now I'm using KDE, but I tried using KMail, but I don't like it.

I used to use Thunderbird as RSS reader, but since I have my ownCloud server, I'm using ocNews.

Also I'm using add-on "Inverse SOGo Connector" to synchronize my address book and callendar.

Comment

Love that Evolution Dark Theme

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_L View Post
                      There's a need for online clients? Don't you have a smartphone or tablet? How do you encrypt mails? Can't think of a single way I could get rid of mail clients.
                      Smartphones and tablets are an afterthought. I do use them, but it's like walking compared to a racing car. Mobile internet is also extremely expensive where I live, so if there's no free wifi around, they're useless. My #1 platform is still the PC and will remain to be. Encrypt emails? The SSL connection does it, not me. It's built into every single browser out there.

Let's say you travel to a friend and want to access your email on their computer. Do you install a client or just fire up a browser in private mode? I do the second one. We don't just install programs on others' computers, and cleaning up would be a mess as well. Same goes for work/school computers. Probably you don't even have permission to install anything, but you can run a browser.

Comment

Working...
                      X