Xfce 4.12 Is Still Planned For Release In One Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this release fixes the following issues:
    * Extremely slow start menu loading (marked as WONTFIX in bug tracker, blaming icon cache, but has *nothing* to do with that as it still happens with icons disabled)
    Often when I'm on the phone, I often have to ask for the person to be patient, because I'm waiting for my start menu to load. Please, the year is 2015!!
    * inability to copy files to/from desktop when not using Thunar (XFCE effectively forces you to use Thunar file manager)
    * inability to change desktop background color when not using Thunar as desktop manager (is solid gray when using Nemo for example)
    * inability to change desktop text color when using Thunar as desktop manager (users are currently forced to use an even, bright background due to black text)
    * all default themes have 1 pixel borders (nearly impossible to resize windows)
    * the usual accidental right-click-release 'feature' (XFCE offers no workaround by default unlike some alternatives do)
    * confusing workspace switcher panel highlighting when set to 2 workspaces (inactive workspace is highlighted by black border)

With exception of the last issue, I consider these to be deal-breakers, and I will not install XFCE again unless these are fixed. I highly recommend LXDE as alternative, which does not have these restrictions/issues, is a lot more configurable, and appears more lightweight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
      With exception of the last issue, I consider these to be deal-breakers, and I will not install XFCE again unless these are fixed. I highly recommend LXDE as alternative, which does not have these restrictions/issues, is a lot more configurable, and appears more lightweight as well.
      My major issue with LXDE (and probably the only one; although really it's pointed at the Terminal app that could easily be replaced, but meh) is that you can't just drag-and-drop files into Terminal to get their location.

Comment

* Extremely slow start menu loading (marked as WONTFIX in bug tracker, blaming icon cache, but has *nothing* to do with that as it still happens with icons disabled)
        Still? I wonder if that's my bug, I think I reported it in 2006.

Comment

Is there any way to reproduce this? I'm on Xubuntu currently, and have used it for a while now, and don't recall ever having the start menu take longer than a second or two to load (if even a second; it's instant most of the time aside from right-after a reboot where it takes that second or two to open).

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Is there any way to reproduce this? I'm on Xubuntu currently, and have used it for a while now, and don't recall ever having the start menu take longer than a second or two to load (if even a second; it's instant most of the time aside from right-after a reboot where it takes that second or two to open).
            I can reproduce this reliably. As you mention, it always happens the first time the menu is opened after login, and is then responsive with subsequent immediate use, but it returns again under certain conditions (quite frequently). This seems possibly triggered by application installs/removal, but definitely also other (apparently frequent) events which I haven't been able to pinpoint. It almost seems that if the menu isn't used in x minutes, it will revert to the slow behavior.

The hang is about 3-5 seconds for me, long enough to get frustrated and forget what I was looking for there. The most annoying part is that it locks up the entire XFCE taskbar panel, so you can't bypass it (while it hangs) by adding quick launchers to the taskbar, or hitting the 'show desktop' button and launching whatever from the desktop.

Icon cache seem to have little to do with it. I rigorously cleaned the cache by hand, and even with icons disabled (in the XFCE panel settings) the bug is still triggered.

If anyone knows how to profile/debug this thing or know where to look, hints are welcome.

Comment

Have you tried 'whisker menu' as replacment of the default one? Perhaps that doesn't have this particular problem.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                Have you tried 'whisker menu' as replacment of the default one? Perhaps that doesn't have this particular problem.
                I was going to say I don't ever recall having any kind of significant delays like what Remdul reported; but I just noticed I'm using the Whisker Menu as well (comes default in Xubuntu). Didn't know XFCE had another menu thing.

Comment

Oh wow, thanks for the suggestion. Wisker seems pretty much identical to the Mint Cinnamon menu, which I'm already familiar with. Sweet.

Comment

Working...
                  X