PulseAudio 6.0 Gains Systemd Socket Activation Support, BlueZ 5 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    Gentoo is the wrong tool to test either PA or systemd, as Gentoo lacks, in both cases, a dedicated integration team.
    Far worse, many Gentoo users prefer the "clean" approach defaulting to sysv and clean-Alsa/OSS which further reduces the amount of testing and integration efforts.
    Simply put, PA and systemd under Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE, etc, gets better integration and far better testing which tends to lead to a far smother experience.

- Gilboa
    Not completely true. Systemd integrates very nicely with Gentoo. Ofc, like everything else, some details are left to the end user.
    Pulseaudio is also mostly install and use. That's my experience anyway...

Comment

Gentoo is the wrong tool to test either PA or systemd, as Gentoo lacks, in both cases, a dedicated integration team.
      Far worse, many Gentoo users prefer the "clean" approach defaulting to sysv and clean-Alsa/OSS which further reduces the amount of testing and integration efforts.
      Simply put, PA and systemd under Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE, etc, gets better integration and far better testing which tends to lead to a far smother experience.

- Gilboa
      I use gentoo pretty heavily. I use it ways that most folks wouldn't, but for me the last few years it's been solid as a rock.

In my opinion gentoo has 3 major flaws.
      1: gcc compile failures
      2: global use flags
      3: ricer community

1 is -MUCH- better than it used to be. gcc 3.8 is solid.
      2 can be worked around by using package.use heavily
      3 is hard to get around, except by knowing the right people.

Comment

Woke up this morning and compiling is just about done. I'll image this filesystem, boot up to it and start testing today.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Not completely true. Systemd integrates very nicely with Gentoo. Ofc, like everything else, some details are left to the end user.
          Pulseaudio is also mostly install and use. That's my experience anyway...
          It was not my intention to throw mud at Gentoo.
          It was my intention to suggest that if you expect systemd and PA to work out of the box, Gentoo might not be the ideal solution.

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Woke up this morning and compiling is just about done. I'll image this filesystem, boot up to it and start testing today.
            Good luck
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

This is going to take a bit. I'm going all out. I've got gnome3 installed now and PA is working. I'm trying to figure out a way to use PTS to show graphs of cpu usage when playing back audio using PA in gnome3 vs using just alsa in xfce4. I'm still working through the gentoo wiki's systemd guide. I want to make sure everything is flawless and working exactly right before I attempt a benchmark. I'm still learning systemd though.

Comment

It was not my intention to throw mud at Gentoo.
                It was my intention to suggest that if you expect systemd and PA to work out of the box, Gentoo might not be the ideal solution.

- Gilboa
                This. I use Gentoo with systemd and there are still a few rough edges, though things got better in the last months.

Comment

I ran into a snag in the initrd I'm using. I'm gonna have to rebase it on one produced from genkernel-next. I'm working on that now.

Comment

I use gentoo pretty heavily. I use it ways that most folks wouldn't, but for me the last few years it's been solid as a rock.

In my opinion gentoo has 3 major flaws.
                    1: gcc compile failures
                    2: global use flags
                    3: ricer community

1 is -MUCH- better than it used to be. gcc 3.8 is solid.
                    2 can be worked around by using package.use heavily
                    3 is hard to get around, except by knowing the right people.
                    I'm running into gentoo flaw 1 right now getting grub 2 to compile static. Apparently there are issues with truetype when the use flag pulls it in and it was compiled as a static dependency.

Comment

Sorry it's taking so long. I'm juggling a few things and this is still in the works.

Comment

Working...
                      X